Track ID’s - Name That Tune

Why can’t people just share what it is? Ridiculous.

7 Likes

Gatekeepers gonna gatekeep!

Pointless imo.

6 Likes

I’m generally happy to tell people what stuff is if the question comes up. But I do get it and respect DJs decisions not to give IDs.

People playing music that you won’t be able to hear anywhere else has always been part of the whole thing IMO. S/O to Billy too! Great DJ. Bit underrated outside of Glasgow,

2 Likes

Yeah fair point.

1 Like

I had a walk in Peaks with a (Sheffield) college friend today who DJ’d & came from London & just caught the end of Balaeric / Rampling
He had a tape of his friends records (most on here Original Balearic Mash Ups) that I copied & loved which we talked about today

One was a slow disco record his friend had covered up name / title but he memorised label / catalogue number & eventually found ( more obscure than rare)

2 Likes

I’m sure I’ve done it in the past but it is a bit pointless. I was reading an excellent oral history of The Loft earlier and this struck me …

DOUGLAS SHERMAN

If you went up and made a request, he would play the record for the most part. If you had a question about the record that was just played, as long as he wasn’t actually in the middle of putting on a record, he would always accommodate. He was very friendly and gentle in his exchange with people that may have been complete strangers to him, but I felt a very welcoming spirit when I would ask.

As Mancuso said, “in the end we’re all in the same band.”

16 Likes

I can see I’m fighting a losing battle here :wink: but…

Mancuso is a beautiful anomaly, isn’t he?

Pretty much every genre of dance music owes a debt to secrecy, exclusivity and oneupmanship. Reggae, soul, hip-hop, Balearic (Weatherall’s “fuck off nosey”cover ups), jungle etc etc.

It’s probably an unfashionable viewpoint, but I think that kind of competitive spirit, has definitely pushed music forward.

I’ll stop now!

12 Likes

I don’t mind not knowing what stuff is but do love finding out.

3 Likes

As I’ve said in the past, I’m pretty sure that whenever anyone has made a record, it’s with the intention for it to be heard as far and wide as possible, not just for 3 or 4 blokes to play and keep as a guarded secret…

7 Likes

You’re right of course and I’ve done it myself (my white label of Call A Wave says “None of your business” on it :sweat_smile:)

1 Like

This is my attitude too

Plenty of dubplates within most if not all UK bass music varieties done by people who more or less exclusively make anonymous tunes for soundsystems and DJs. I think that’s part of the game.

2 Likes

Agreed, but that’s more about soundclashes and one upmanship within a specific scene, no?

I just don’t get why you wouldn’t tell someone what a track is if they asked.

3 Likes

I always tell and never really understood why keeping stuff to yourself would make you happier, cooler or a better DJ. What i was referring to was that musicians and producers want their music heard as much as possible which i don’t believe, some really strive for exclusivity. The dubplate scene is a good example and has been around in the UK for 50 years.

1 Like

Playing great records others don’t know is why we do this on the whole, isn’t it? So, telling folks what records are pushes ourselves forward into finding more…

1 Like

I’m generalizing, but I feel like in many cases it reflects the older school mentality of having to put in the “work” to find the records. Anecdotally for me at least, the “no tracklist” or deliberately excluded tracks seem to mostly (entirely?) be from DJs who got into it before the internet made it easy/ier to discover things. It also seems to be mostly (entirely?) a male thing- to generalize further, lol.

2 Likes

Lord Echo dropped a lovely mushroom therapy mix on Monday, 39mins in, theres this nice dubby house thing with familiar vocals should be easy i think

3 Likes

Super long shot, but have been trying to hunt down the accapella that Soulwax use in their slowed-down edit of Ferrara’s ‘Love Attack’:

Know it’s probably like a needle in a haystack but shy bairns get nowt, as they say :slight_smile:

It sounds like it’s taken from a recording of an old school hip hop park jam like this.

The MC in this one says most of the same type of stuff as in the samples in the youtube link you posted, but i don’t have time to listen all the way through to see if it is the same recording or just an example of a similar one. I hope this at least narrows the search a bit for you.

4 Likes

Amazing! That definitely sounds like it’s the one I was looking for - I was using the wrong terminology calling it an accapella - had a feeling it might have come from a Dj set or something similar - happy to do the leg work from here - thanks buddy!

1 Like