Where's Music At?

Put your feet up, your headphones on & peer through the musical microscope at the sonic particles of Toan’s staggeringly detailed ambient world, where a million disparate sound particles somehow synergise to create a stunningly beautiful electroacoustic whole. One of my ambient LPs of the year from Krysalisound.

Just in time to soundtrack your summer lounging & intimate moments Sessa has dropped his new LP of whispered neo-Tropicalia for Mexican Summer. Seemingly recorded after a couple of bowls, he continues his unhurried, whimsical musings on the varied nature of love swept along by vintage strings & the classic sounds of this most musical of countries.

1 Like

If you’ve been checking the blog or Slow Folk playlist you’ll already be well aware of Lindsay Clark, and I’m happy to report her LP for Audiosport is finally here and living up to all my lofty expectations. This really is a most enchanting folk LP, as her distinctive vocals are elevated further heavenwards by clouds of lovingly crafted, reality dissipating arrangements. Just wonderful.

I’ll check out anything with Joseph Shabason involved. This is jazz not jazz and I dig it.

"From the very beginning moments of Fresh Pepper, Shabason and Ethier guide their companions (a sort of super group of Toronto musicians from acts like Bernice, Beverly Glenn Copeland, and even Destroyer’s Dan Bejar himself) with breathy, hushed tones via saxophone and vocals respectively, casually traversing their own annexed corridor between smooth jazz, exploratory avant-indie, and subverted adult-contemporary. "

2 Likes

I’m being lazy and just cut and pasting descriptions from Bandcamp, but it’s the music that matters…

'The trees were buzzing, and the grass.’ is described as an album of collaboration with contributions from percussionist Michael Anklin, voice artist Natasha Lohan and performance artist Es Morgan as well as vocal appearances from friends. From the moment you press play, Wordcolour immerses you in his world, enveloped by the sound of rustling leaves, footsteps, gong-like synths and ghostlike, sometimes haunting, vocals.

3 Likes

Balearic Krautrock on Claremont 56 - first album by this German 4 piece since 2000!

Inspired by Kraftwerk’s “Autobahn,” Southampton-based musician Steve Hartwell, aka The Dead Goldfish Ensemble, started to craft his own music in 1983 using sequencers and the MSX computer, which could be said as the first generation of home computers available for music production. Hartwell made a tremendous amount of recordings in his home studio until 1993, reflecting his take on minimalist music of Steve Reich and Philip Glass, it featured strange imaginative polyrhythms and friendly playful melodies that innocently bounce around.

1 Like

There’s some gem’s in this :slightly_smiling_face:

I do like a bit of digi-dub but it’s an annoyingly rare beast to spot out in the wild and the finest examples even harder to come by, so all my birthdays have come at once with this window rattling, leftfield joy from the JapoGermanic dream team of Danny Wolfers and Taka Noda, who respect the JA origins but keep the dub continuum evolving in new cosmic directions. I don’t buy vinyl any more but if any new release needed (most don’t!) a well mastered, super heavy vinyl release then this sure as hell does.

6 Likes

The new ambient folk LP from The National Park Service for Lily really is a lovely, mellow listen. Mantric instrumental loops with an at times jazz flecked, psyche tinged, nu-paganistic ritual feel celebrate the joys of repetition, as distant guitar, percussion, natural, elemental & ambiental sounds add real world depths for the attentive listener to explore.

This was one of my daily tips - a really cool listen start to finish.

This place never fails to deliver interesting recommendations that I would never have come across otherwise. What an amazing listen. Thanks @Balearic_Clapton :raised_hands:

4 Likes

Always wanting to make some vocal house The Maghrban hasn’t messed about and only gone and got Omar to lay his distinctive, stil criminally under appreciated by the masses, soul voice over this deep, dark jacking slice of 4am warehouse dance ritualism. Proper house music.

3 Likes

If you’ve been keeping an eye on the site & Slow Folk playlist then you’ll be well aware of Tui’s powerful modern folk sounds, driven by his compelling voice and production that takes centuries of folk tradition, wraps it in dramatic folktronic forms to give the folk continuum a 21st century jolt. Well the album is finally here, and it’s hard to believe he’s still only 21. This is a seriously accomplished debut.

Tropicalia indebted, jazz freckled sunny psychedelic sounds from the solar challenged UK as Wax Machine mine all sorts of vintage haze for Batov Records, & wrap their finds in delightful, AngloBrazilian arrangements. If you choose music by it’s cover this one nails it.

1 Like

Take an improvisational, gently experimental, inward voyaging cosmic folk trip with Michael Tanner for Objects Forever. Recorded whilst sat on a slab atop a family vault in the local graveyard at dusk over several days with the attendant feathered fauna joining in at will. It’s a lockdown meditation for all times.

Michael Diamond “Third Culture” is a brilliantly varied listen. Comes across a bit like a mixtape in the progression but there is so much excellent stuff to unpack in it. Its a bit electronic, a bit jazz, a bit broken beat, and very cosmic.

Thats a great track

1 Like

I’d definitely be on the floor for that!

The new Greg Foat album is sounding lovely. Perfect for lazy Sunday afternoon

3 Likes

Seemingly designed to make the world a more loving place the latest transmission from Channelers is currently resonating through your local ley line from the Inner Islands retreat. Put your ear to the ground and tune in as Eastern mysticism wafts into the path of spiritual jazz vibrations & folk meditations to condense into New Age Clouds. Your Sunday is now complete.

1 Like