What you reading

What do we think about this then? I’m about to dip my toe into vinyl production again but not sure if this has given me pause. Or is it just more RA filler?

5 Likes

Costs are definitely up, sales are definitely down, but I can’t really see the 12" going anywhere.

3 Likes

Lots to unpack there.

On a personal basis as a consumer the cost of new 12s is prohibitive. They are definitely a luxury item for me now and I’ll only typically buy if there’s not a digital version.

It does feel like the investment by artist/label/consumer has a better reward with a nicely packaged vinyl album. However on a personal basis that’s less relevant to me as I’m not a natural buyer of electronic music albums.

The fast nature of the digital supply chain does feel more suited to the immediacy of club music. What’s the percentage of working DJs using vinyl nowadays? Must be very low overall. So you can see why the digital file is potentially just better suited.

The 12” single is so iconic though I don’t think it will die off immediately. Good to hear material costs/pressing delays are both reducing so I reckon the 12” will be around for a few years yet. Even though the costs are still pretty crazy. It feels like it’s a statement piece that’ll be part of the brand identity of certain labels, but not all.

So I suppose the question for you is whether you see a nicely packaged 12” record as key to the brand identity of your label? If not, it hardly seems worthwhile.

(One thing not mentioned is the environmental cost: there’s clearly more of a footprint with making and distribution of physical product. This might also impact consumer interest)

1 Like

You would think there would be better pressings, nicer sleeves and heavier weight vinyl as this would make them more ‘collectible’, hopefully sound better and be worth the money. I object to spending a fortune on a floppy, badly pressed 12’’ that sounds worse that the Wav.

More of your music on wax, yes please! Hopefully not £18 for a 12” tho

3 Likes

Thickness of the vinyl is the very last concern to sound quality. The first thing I think when I pick up a heavy modern record is it’s going to sound bad.

I get you, I’m very very cautious to buy any new records at all nowadays as it all comes across as souvenir collecting with no benchmarking or points of sound quality reference to the new breed of buyer.

I guess I’m just a sucker for aesthetics, Obi bands anyone :joy:

2 Likes

Pretty much stopped buying 12” records a few years back. It takes something special to make me choose that over digital for the price. Not much more than 1 a year. Pinchy & Friends have covered my quota for the last few years.

If I’m going to spend £12-20 on 2-4 tracks, it must be significantly better on that format, or vinyl only.

I do feel for independent labels trying to make ends meet in this.

5 Likes
4 Likes

This is a fascinating read on what kids eat around the world.

2 Likes
2 Likes

I try and keep it positive on the internet, but, this Rick Rubin book is bobbins isn’t it?

1 Like

Peter Ackroyd’s biography of Charles Dickens. Outstanding!

3 Likes

I’m intrigued by this - anyone cop it?

4 Likes

Second time I’ve seen that mentioned. Haven’t sought it out yet but will have to check it out, been on a big kick of them and One Dove for the last few months.

2 Likes

Interesting on Printworks and their model

5 Likes
5 Likes

Been to Mayfield a few times and it’s great, amazing atmosphere at the events I’ve been to for such a large space. Interesting how they have basically gone in with developers to use the venues. Business innit…

1 Like