What you reading

What have you read of late that’s good?

I’ve just re-read David Keenan’s Memorial Device and enjoyed it even more on the second go round.

Dirt by Bill Buford. Not as page turning as Heat but still a great foodie read.

5 Likes

Just read Doughnut Economics by Kate Raworth, It’s not about doughnuts, but it’s very good.

4 Likes

After years of memoirs and biographies im really into fiction now. Starting with last years “notable” stuff and “Stephen Florida” by Gabe Habash is fun and moving.

Just finished: The KLF: Chaos, Magic and the Band who Burned a Million Pounds by John Higgs… it’s a wild ride, full of synchronicity & chaos… Highly recommend it!

12 Likes

Just read The Biggest Bluff by Maria Konnikova, about poker, self-control, psychology, and chance. Lots of food for thought!

Great book.

Love Bill Drummond’s The 17 too. Proper rant with loads of diversions into Pete Waterman, The Paradise Garage, Fluxus, The Illuminatus! Trilogy (obvs), Liverpool etc etc

2 Likes

Just reading Annie Nightingale’s book, really enjoying it

Rip it up and start again by Simon Reynolds… Post punk 1978 to 1984…

8 Likes

Norman Jay book, top Notch as well I may add

5 Likes

Greg Wilsons new book is a nice easy read that joins a few dots :+1:

6 Likes

Finally getting around to reading On Earth We’re Briefly Gorgeous, the debut novel by Ocean Vuong

2 Likes

Got given that by a mate at Christmas. Not read it yet. I’m very slow at reading! So took y time with the jockey slut weatherall book. After reading I realise I knew pretty much nothing about the guy.

1 Like

Cosmic trigger 3. Robert Anton Wilson. Bit of light guerilla ontology.

1 Like

I read a lot of travel writing last year as some armchair escapism - including probably my favourite book of all time Peter Mathieson, The Snow Leopard - but been rediscovering my love for history lately… currently reading Giles Tremlett - The International Brigades re the Spanish civil war, and wow it’s an emotional ride

2 Likes

Recommend the Heavenly Book - do you believe in magic
Andrew Weatherall - Jockey Slut tribute loads of charts and stories - very sad
For other music writing really enjoyed the Ian Penman book -‘the curved track brings with
me back’ wonderful essays on Prince, Solange and Frank Sinatra

2 Likes

love The Snow Leopard, particularly the passage on the Lung Gom runners! His ‘The Tree Where Man Was Born’ is equally captivating.

Eula Biss - On Immunity. One of those things that has sat on my shelf for too long and only now has found its time. Sort of an extended personal essay/cultural history of vaccination & related topics.

Yeah, I think I will probably re read it soon! The Tree… is on my list to check out. I also read and enjoyed the south American one, I forget the name

Reading Roy Orbison’s authorized biography, written by his sons. It’s been good so far, an easy read. Lots of neat bits as far as photos and things go.

After that will be Lenny Kravitz’ new book, Let Love Rule.

1 Like

Heavenly book and the Weatherall are my two newest books as well. Both were great, though not all of Heavenly’s roster is my jam, the overall story made me appreciate the label more. Otherwise, it’s Pippi Longstocking as the bedtime story i’m currently reading.

4 Likes