What you reading

agreed - here’s my quick blurb on it here: What you reading - #590 by deepconcentration

i enjoyed how personal he made it - personal about himself, personal in the way that there were a couple of chapters in which he was talking to members of the tribe directly, personal in the way that he spent a fair amount of time measuring his young self and his fandom against something he really thought was “his” and how the maturity and challenges of a band can mirror that of an individual, if you want to look at it that way.

2 Likes

New Faith just popped on the mat, Louie Vega on the cover.

With two Goodfellas dead, dipped into Pileggi’s Wiseguy but the film’s better methinks

2 Likes
5 Likes

Entire sections lifted wholesale for the film though eh?

3 Likes
4 Likes

I just finished Donald Fagen’s memoir/tour rant diary Eminent Hipsters. It is charming, bitter, whiny, wistful… highly recommended. God I love Steely Dan.

3 Likes

i just finished “old records never die”. it was kind of an airport book, if you know what i mean.

it was recommended to me by the same sort of “hey i heard you like records” folks who thought “hey, you’re sort of misanthropic and work in a record store, is your life like ‘hi fidelity’?”. it wasn’t very good. i guess it was fine if you are at all invested in white, middle-aged midlife crisis guys who feel like their broken lives can be fixed if they just recreate an idealized moment from their distant teens.

in a nutshell - it’s the story of a guy who’s working to get the records he loved and sold along life’s journey back into his possession. and not just copies of the records he loved, the ACTUAL records that he once owned. there were parts of it that might elicit a smirk here and there, but even though we’re roughly the same age and have had somewhat similar experiences, i couldn’t get over how misguided this guy was from end to end. and like most dumb white guys going through their shit - dude learned next to nothing. sigh.

6 Likes

because i liked go ahead in the rain, i picked up a little devil in america (by the same author, hanif abdurraqib).

so far it’s a lovely celebration of distinct moments of black american performances and while it’s not really any one thing in particular (memoir, cultural study, biography, social criticism, etc.) it’s an engaging wander through a number of different uniquely american touchstones such as soul train, aretha’s funeral, blackface performances… it’s been a joy to read. i need to hurry up and finish this work day so i can finish it.

2 Likes

5 Likes
5 Likes

Trudged to half way and given up… probably the most boring book i’ve attempted to read. The epilogue about modern dance culture is so misinformed it’s agonising. ‘Social media enabled the rave scene to happen’. Christ on a bike.

2 Likes

The comments :smiley:

2 Likes

Just reading just now :joy:

I can’t unsee this now…

“Kevin Bacon, Rebecca Adlington, Paul Bettany, Alanis Morrisette, Tom Brady, Madonna, and Robbie Fowler.
You’re welcome.”

1 Like

Working hard today…

3 Likes

Ordered. Thanks for the tip.

1 Like
8 Likes

Incredible ! Great post.

That look intriguing, read Food of the Gods when it came out, is it along the same lines?