What you reading

The McKenna book?

This one is more about fungi in general. Really interesting.

1 Like

Yes… must dig it out again, remember reading when it came out and was pretty out there, but makes much more sense to me now.

1 Like

Yeah it’s pretty speculative. This one is all science based, but McKenna was a family friend of the author.

you might have come across this before?

McKenna referenced it in a number of his lectures. It’s a pretty rambling read but has some interesting aspects.

2 Likes

Yes I have that book too. A lot of these books are very speculative with some claims that we have no way of proving one way or another. Still interesting ideas. The one that I think will be correct to some level is that psychedelics had an important role in early religion and art.

2 Likes
8 Likes

There’s some truth in this. I’m an outlier in my group.

4 Likes

Weird, it’s the one thing that’s kept me sane throughout my existence. Couldn’t be without it…

4 Likes

Interesting, I’ve always found the whole nostalgia thing in music completely alien to me, covers bands, 70s, 80s, 90s nights, DJs doing a back to 88 set etc. It must be sad to have so little imagination that you retreat into the comfort of experiences from your formative years.

Perhaps dance music culture outside the mainstream does not have the same nostaglic allure, clubbing for me was always about hearing the newest sounds, rather than going to see a band where you wanted to hear their biggest hits.

5 Likes

Is there a point in your age when you start listening more to old music that you never did
Im not sure if an age thing or when I hit 30 there started to me loads of great reissues (& Fopp selling stuff cheap) and Mojo going on about it

2 Likes

Doing some prep for the future

5 Likes

Only for the headline:

2 Likes

My kind of PM Supporters defend Finnish PM Sanna Marin’s right to party after video leak | Finland | The Guardian

4 Likes

Hell yes

Dodgers/Bill Beverly

Just finished this. Brilliantly written story. Nothing to do with music. Highly recommend.

1 Like

Same - totally depends on the person, we don’t have kids but I have friends with kids who still stay adventurous and others who don’t.

In some ways being older is the greatest time for exploring music - you have all the foundation from your youth but can be unconstrained/omnivorous as genre is no longer linked with identity as it was in school.

4 Likes

Ryan Giggs poem…

True. Not being open to discovering new (and often old) music is one of life’s great pleasures. That joy of the discovery never gets old and this forum has been great for that.

I have friends that still listen to the same stuff that they were into in their formative years - they just stopped there and all the new music they like is just variations on a theme. Nothing wrong with that, it just makes no sense to me whatsoever.

2 Likes

also: i can afford a lot more records than i could as a youth.

1 Like