What don't you get

Me neither +1

1 Like

Am I the only one not feeling that new Quiet Village track? I never know which producers and artists are lurking in these forums, so I won’t go into why I don’t like it. I think it’s part of my overall disdain for colour by numbers Balearic tracks that the better known names of the scene seem to be content with pushing out, and even more worrying, the amount of people who gleefully accept the same trite sounds and patterns being fed to them.

5 Likes

It’s not that I don’t like it more that it just sounds like an above average generic broken beat jazz track that could have come out in the late 90s. Proper Gilles P fodder, not really my bag but plenty of people love this stuff so good luck to them.

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this too. I sometimes get suckered into certain dreamy sounds with instant hooks but which, objectively speaking, are pretty hackneyed. Often via the juno balearic charts. There can be a fine line between ephemeral sunset moods and wallpaper filler.

4 Likes

I like it :frowning_face:

5 Likes

I’m enjoying the hackneyed Gilles P trite sounds.

5 Likes

I think it’s great. If anything I feel like it’s a deliberate push away from balearic wallpaper to something more classic and jazz influenced. They pretty easily could have come back with edits or something sample based, but they chose to do an original composition.

All opinions are, of course, valid and do I kinda agree that there isn’t much critical evaluation of this stuff, as everyone is basically mates with everyone else.

5 Likes

Fair point about the Balearic wallpaper :+1:

4 Likes

It reminds me of something you’d find tucked away on a Cinematic Orchestra album from 2007 on first listen.

2 Likes

It made me want to hear Solitary Flight for some reason!

1 Like

I think it’s good- obvious touchstones being the nervous track/ bug in a bass-bin, even weirdly (for me at least), pacific state.
I would have liked to hear the track they sampled- the session guys they used- maybe as a b side however

Maybe if they’re going for a full length again they’ll head in some other interesting directions as well -

Not heard yet, pre-ordered digi on BC but nothing available to stream or dl yet.

Same. It was supposed to be made available 7th June but still on pre-order as of now.

https://www.phonicarecords.com/product/quiet-village-reunion-the-quiet-village/196755

Definitely some similarities with the drums.

1 Like

Mine came last week via the Juno balearic charts
:wink:

It’s on Bandcamp today digi…

Thanks guys.

It’s not the direction I would’ve liked them to go in.

Yeah plus the melody is kinda reminiscent. I don’t hate it but it does seem a little bit generic/obvious? :thinking:

Should someone start a “business balearic” thread?

14 Likes