Sunglasses For The People

This might be a new topic in itself but give me your recommendations for decent sunglasses.

I’ve been a boring RayBan wearer. Various wayfarer styles. Need some new ideas.

What else is out there for the well dressed bloke?

Cubitts, good for glasses too, good prices I think, Cutler & Gross bit more spendy. Love Persol but too small for my fat head…

1 Like

Cheers. Should’ve mentioned that styles for a larger head are what I need!

4 Likes

Cubitts look great and decent price. Love the filter/AR thing on the website to try them on.

1 Like

I use the Clipzen sunnies clip on Moscot Miltzen. (in, alarmingly, “Flesh”)

1 Like

I wear Garrett Leight ‘Linnie’ frames with their custom clip-on shades. The clip-ons fold and stash nicely.

2 Likes

Persol make some really nice sunglasses

Example

3 Likes

I don’t like the numbers though, that seems unnecessary :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Sunglasses are also having to evolve

An old friend founded ZanZan, handmade in Italy and all named after obscure youth subcultures! https://zanzan.co.uk/

2 Likes

PS I tend to get mine from TK Maxx

1 Like

Like these! Thanks.

Primark for me, that’s how i roll :sunglasses:

1 Like

I have to wear prescription lenses and have worn glasses since I was 4, so I don’t fuck around with frames - quality matters. In that sense, I’ve pretty much given up on most Luxottica brands - especially Ray Ban and Persol, which seem to be worse and worse, unfortunately. I don’t know why, but the acetate frames especially seem to be prone to easy warping, and the fittings are sub-par.

My favorite brand these days is Garrett Leight, they’re making fantastic frames, nice understated designs, and not that expensive. Great shopping experience, too.

Having said that my day-to-day frames are Morgenthal Frederics, the Benny model. Bought both my pairs in 2010 and they are still going strong. If you have the $$ they make buffalo horn frames which are just the best thing ever, but mucho dinero.

Dream frames would be a pair of Masahiro Maruyama. This dude makes the absolute craziest frame designs out there, but also crazy money, and not even sure my rx would be feasible in many of his styles. Worth the look anyway, just to see how nuts this guy is.

4 Likes

Moscot have recently gone berserk expanding the Clipzen and Cliptosh ranges:

Let’s just enjoy the array of colours and not discuss the prohibitive pricing.

1 Like

I always really struggled with finding a pair that worked with my weird shaped bonce. despite never having owned or considered owning anything made by Gucci before, it turned out these were the ones.

https://www.mytheresa.com/en-gb/gucci-square-frame-sunglasses-1522936.html

1 Like

Worn glasses for ‘work’ since being 8. made the foray into prescription sunglasses for the first time a few years ago and I swear by these. Shuron have loads of other styles available but these are the ones that do it for me. I cant stand labels on specs - these are labelled on the inside of the frame.

https://shop.shuron.com/shop/sidewinder/

Being American they are not that readily available in the UK but some opticians stock them.

And yes I have a large head. These tick all the boxes.

1 Like

These look cool. I’m also not a fan of labels on the outside of frames, they make me irrationally mad.

1 Like

It’s unbelievably hard to find simple glasses without branding.

1 Like

The brands I mentioned above do a good job of being discrete.

1 Like