Memories of the Chill Out Room?

What would you have been playing, which artists, labels, genres?

I had been doing private parties in Portobello Rd for a gay couple with a lovely house and walled garden… i would do 4 hrs of chilled smoking music and then play some disco at the end.

7 Likes

I was a fan of Killing Joke in 78 i guess, certainly saw them play a lot when Youth was a youth

1 Like

there is an excellent recording from Heaven 1991 on my mixcloud somewhere.

1 Like

Here it is - ‘exclusive’

5 Likes

I have plenty of vague memories of chill out tents/rooms from early 90s. Mixmaster Morris seemed to be at them all! From the early The Big Chill festivals at Larmar Tree Gardens to Universe Tribal Gathering rave…think that was a stage called Aquarium and Aphex Twin played too. Oh aquarium that reminds me of a hardcore rave I got taken to on Clacton on Sea Pier and my chill out escape from it was spending most the night in the aquarium…no music, just the fish, me and the occasional mashed up raver.

4 Likes

Loved the Larmer Tree Big Chills, and Clacton Pier sounds perfect!

2 Likes

Love this story @Balearic_Clapton it just sums up the early 90s perfectly!

4 Likes

Simon Mu was great in the chill out room in Pleasure Rooms. And happy memories of upstairs at Music factory with a can of Colt 45 swaying to George from nightmares on wax, the bloke from Hip clothing, Cziz etc

4 Likes

This was fun Monday Night in San Francisco. The flier illustrates the club’s (well restaurant) interior, which included the hull of an airplane. Lot of great DJs played, some names you might expect (Jonah Sharp) and some local house djs playing more leftfield stuff.

8 Likes

Looks like an excellent space!

1 Like

As a San Franciscan, I’d love to hear more about this! Any memory of when and where it took place?

1 Like

The space was a restaurant called The Caribbean Zone.

This happened around 93-94.

I seem to remember a live set from Space Time Continuum. Dj sets form Mark Farina, Thomas, Markie, Dark Horse, Charlie Urzell Edwards (who also drew the flier)…I am sure there were more, but there was a lot of weed smoking happening…

7 Likes

I always thought/think it’s such an important part of the club experience to have somewhere to go and switch to a different space for a bit. Like halftime at a football match - have a breather then go back in. I don’t recall too many dedicated spaces, but there used to be the small area out the back of the music box and upstairs in sankeys, in Manchester.

1 Like

A night running in our town also had a small theatre up stairs with the old spring up fixed seating that became the chill out area, not ideal with people off their heads trying to manoeuvre around… Dj had many a laugh…

The best SF club of all time!!

3 Likes

Charlie’s got a bunch of recordings from TGC on his Mixcloud btw…

2 Likes

Did the Gardening Club also take up residency at the Kalesa Club on 6th street? (now club 6)

I was never really a chill out room person. I pretty much stayed on the dancefloor all night bar a trip to the bog or bar. The only one I actually remember was at The Institute in Birmingham. I knew at the end of the night I could always find my brother chatting away to a girl or two or a group of people he had met. We made some good and now sadly long lost friends through my brother’s love of sitting around chewing peoples ears off in that said chill out room.

1 Like

I don’t remember that…