Memories of the Chill Out Room?

Chill out room at The Orbit was always a haven from the main room craziness!

2 Likes

Bravo. What a great story. :clap:

3 Likes

Have the new wave of listening bars like Spiritland, Brilliant Corners etc become the new chill out rooms?

1 Like

My big memories of a chill out room was the top floor of the Blue Note when Ninja Tunes used to do their nights there. ‘Things’ got a little hectic once so went upstairs to chill with a mate (who started holding my hand hahahaha) and went up to find the DJ (can’t remember who!) playing with a live sax player while the Empire Strikes Back played in reverse. Remember them selling bagels there as well. Just perfect :raised_hands:

13 Likes

Those Stealth nights were amazing, think was the Light Surgeons doing the top floor chill out space. Good article here… The Quietus | Features | Ninja Tune Week: An Extract From Stevie Chick's 20 Years Of Beats & Pieces

3 Likes

Mixmaster Morris again, I think at Heaven for Megatripolis - in a part of the club called ‘The Well’ or something along those lines, which had hammocks, cushions and mattresses, hanging drapes, lots of people, very low light levels and was thick with smoke. Picking my way through the carpet of bodies looking for my friends I was suddenly startled by what looked like a massive void in the floor and instinctively grabbed a stranger’s head to steady myself. Luckily they were quite understanding and helped to coax me across the imaginary chasm. Eventually I found my friends, and a bag of weed down the side of a mattress. The music up there was extremely psychedelic, ambient, dub or experimental electronics.

5 Likes

Great stories, would that have been in the Soundshaft??

1 Like

Thanks for the link :raised_hands:

1 Like

Soundshaft rings a bell! I think the booth was in the far corner from the entrance, and all the lying around getting stoned happened upstairs, and that there were usually hanging sculptures of some sort descending from a kind of balcony at that level to around where the booth was.

2 Likes

And I think one night there was a visit from a large number of police, but that they had so much difficulty picking their way through the comatose people on the floor that people on the other side of the room were in no hurry to put their spliffs out. But that’s the kind of addition one makes to a story from about 25 years ago so couldn’t swear it happened! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Perhaps I can be of assistance?

33 Likes

Welcome aboard Morris! Where to start? What’s your first memories of a dedicated chill out space either as a DJ or chiller?

I went to Land of Oz in 1989 … Paul Oakenfold told me to go… it was very loud and I was very high… and I managed to sneak into the VIP where I saw the White Room for the first time. Alex Paterson was DJing and Youth and Jimi Cauty i think were jamming. It was a brilliant mess (ha), but also very inspiring, and I met a lot of people that night like Richard Norris and Fraser Clarke…

5 Likes

I asked Alex the next week if I could come and play sometime and he told me to bugger off. Then I met a guy who was running another night at Heaven, Madlands, so I asked him to give me the White Room

3 Likes

i did the first one for free to prove it could be done. And unlike oz I made the white room open to everyone, not just VIPs

7 Likes

4 Likes

I do have tapes of some of these shows, they are fascinating

2 Likes

How long did that event run for?

Fucking hell!!

1 Like

I think it only lasted 6 months. and I was now in The Shamen’s Synergy crew so I was touring nonstop. sometimes I would get a train back to london for one night to do it. I also did live sets there with my Atari ST and Ema

4 Likes