Memorable Dance Floor moment

@30ftBelow ‘Home of the scream up!’ Haha. Love that. Yeah Menace was a good ‘un. Many memorable moments. Fella with the long dark hair was from down Southend way I think?
My mate used to DJ there a bit. Damon Field. We always had a big crew from Essex in there, loads of mates from Kilburn as well at the time. Big family atmosphere in there.

1 Like

@Dave yeah that would be Marky (used to work the door)…out of Romford but was living in Southend at the time. He’s a top man…

They actually started Menace at the Pig in Grays Inn Rd to a fairly small crowd and ended with hundreds queuing round the block and into Paddington station!

Too many good nights in there to remember… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

If you haven’t been, new years’ eve in Brazil is always special. It was extra special in Cumuruxatiba, Bahia with the sun rising over a beautiful coconut tree filled cliff overlooking the sea, in the early hours of Jan 1 2018 as Idjut Boys ended an epic set at Mareh festival with Love is In The Air. That was some moment.

6 Likes

Holy shit - what a great video!

The Guv ending his set at Convenanza 2018 with Time - Oberon (Epic) was a HUGE FUCKING MOOD

Listening to Harvey play the Blackdisco Edit of Jacksons’ Living Together for the first time, at 5am in a modest and surprisingly well lit warehouse in LA in 2007

3 Likes

Sounds incredible… Amazing…

Possibly wrong genre for this forum, but going to a metalheadz night in Nottingham with my older brother. First proper drum and bass club I’d been too. This DJ was warming up & as he got the floor busy the first mc came on and announced it was Randall. Moments later he dropped locust by Ed Rush & Fierce which I’d never heard. Mixed the full long intro through and then when it dropped at 2 mins…happy days.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=VPXU21fNEMM

5 Likes

And to the earlier ‘pre internet record shopping’ chat - trying explaining that one to some moody looking geezers in the dnb section without looking like an absolute tool :slight_smile:

1 Like

Nah man. Totally the right forum. Broad spread is the only way : )

2 Likes

I’d forgotten about Templehead! Great track of the moment

2 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

Another was the first time I went to Ibiza. Suspicious of all the big clubs (thinking it was a bit ‘done’ - it was 2001), went to the beach for a day and stumbled across Bora Bora for a beer. Half an hour later, dancing away with all the glam Italians in their speedos, cheering at the planes going over etc.

(Also, bizarrely, the same week as September the 11th. I’d gone for a walk during the day and went into Mambo for a drink to the barman looking confused, listening to a radio and telling me two planes had crashed in the sky in New York. Memorable for very different reasons).

Such as the basement in Blackmarket Records in Soho, an intimidating place in the 90s for a young man about town!

I had that in mind. I grew up near hull and the record shops were smaller with not much dnb. Made a pilgrimage to black market on a London visit - pretty intimidating in that basement as a 16y/o on a busy day.

From what I remember it was very hard to even get near the counter, let alone get served, unless you knew someone!

I remember pointing at a couple of sleeves in the rack, waiting like a spare part wondering what was happening, then one of the guys pointing at me then at the deck as he mixed it in. I think I bought a tune partly out of fear and not wanting to look a total tit (pretty sure I failed).

3 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy: Love that!

3 Likes

We’ve all been there!

4 Likes

Absolutely! i laughed aloud out of recognition when i read it :joy:

3 Likes

Not exactly a dance floor moment, but a café del mar & Weatherall moment. 94 or 95, can’t remember exactly but think it was the year he got turfed off the decks for playing banging techno…

He did a set at the cafe that week, typically across the board, finishing up with Thieves Like Us, which is possibly my favourite New Order tune, amazing

2 Likes

Didn’t know AW played the cafe. Would love to hear what he played. Might enquire at the Flightpath see if there are any details out there.

3 Likes