Memorable Dance Floor moment

The last ever Optimo at the Sub Club. The last two tracks, chosen by Jonnie & Keith, was ‘Stand On The Word’ by Joubert Singers and ‘Kiss Me Again’ by Dinosaur respectively. Two of my favourite records ever, b2b, in what was a crazy, emotional night.

It was, of course, the very best version of Kiss Me Again

5 Likes

He definitely played some dub, no surprise there! That’s about all I remember tbh.

2 Likes

@Sparkomatic if I find anything out I’ll give you a shout.

1 Like

Seem to remember talking to Darren Price that night, he might remember, or not…long time ago!

1 Like

Massive ‘moment’ when ame (or rocky?) dropped the c2 rmx of delia & gavin revelee at faith turnmills 2006. Eargasmic.

2 Likes

17 years old
Dove
This
Mayhem

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhVKUGuMbkA

4 Likes

I’m fairly sure they had (actual) people wandering around in space suits at one of the early Final Frontiers, if that’s in any way reassuring :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Getting through the door of Berghain in September 2007, getting a grunt and a nod from the tattoo face guy and being greeted by really friendly door staff just inside explaining about checking in any cameras etc. Wasn’t at all what we’d heard it might be like (rude and snide door) then…walking up those stairs and hearing Ben Klock on the main floor and that thunderous system. That was a moment.

Upstairs again to Panoramabar and the more housey sound. The whole night/morning was just amazing

3 Likes

A bit of a different moment in that I wasn’t on the dance floor. Used to DJ at a place called the Purple Pussycat in Manchester a good few years back. Had a bunch of pals down from Glasgow for the weekend so was defiantly more under the influence than I normally would be. Dropped this edit and the whole place went off.

Simple, no nonsense banger :grinning:

3 Likes

Went to the Subterania in London under the west way to see David Holmes DJ, must have been around 1999/2000. Was gutted when I got there and rumours started going around the dance floor that he wasn’t playing. Then one of the promoters came on the PA and apologised, saying they were very sorry, David was ill, so instead they’d like to welcome DJ Shadow doing a 7 inch funk set. The whole place erupted! It was bloody brilliant from what I remember.

2 Likes

Dancing away as a young lad at Wobble in Brum. Had met a really sound bunch of people from Nuneaton. Half way through the night one of them taps me on the shoulder and hands me a piece of paper with a drawing he had just done of me dancing. It was pretty amazing considering he was off his face. Or maybe it was me thinking it was good for the same reason. Who knows ha.

2 Likes

Cream Liverpool, think about 96, possibly 97. Remember it being a significant night for them, something to do with the courtyard, either the opening night of that room or the first night Oakey played the courtyard.

Anyway, the main room headliners were Xpress 2, extended set on 6 decks. They tore it up the whole 4 - 5 hours they were on, almost like they were vibing off each other as well as the crowd, seemed like they were competing the last hour - classic after classic after classic.

Strings of Life definitely got a spin, as did Muzik Express, I Feel Love, think Moroder - The Chase too. Think they finished with a cheesy spin of East 57th St - Saturday. Musical heaven that night and I went to show some appreciation. Rather than shake my hand, Rocky thrust a copy of Muzik Express into my hand. At the time I told mates it was the one they’d played earlier that night, but thinking back it might have been one of many copies they handed out as promo freebies for JBO. Prefer to think I was special that night though :relaxed:

6 Likes

I swear it’d be the one they played. At the label we never gave them promos to give out. Good old Rocky.

4 Likes

Well that warms my heart. What a gent. He must have noticed me totally lose my shit when they played it

1 Like

Played Beatroot/Dance Factory forget what name was at time and remember them playing Jack Your Body. Good djs even though not very full, don’t know them at all but we’re very friendly guys.

Saw them at Cream as well but never fan of venue, bit impersonal for me.

Yep. Me as well.

Sounds amazing. They really are masters of their craft. Have been incredible every time I’ve seen them play.

1 Like

This is the recordings from the night

3 Likes

JD came down to play a Selvagem party here in São Paulo in 2017 or 18, it was quite a night!

1 Like

Thanks listening to it now. Just been reminded that some of my mates went up for that night. A few stories to tell apparently!

1 Like