Memorable Dance Floor moment

Richard Moonboots full set at Back to Basics top floor (Music Factory) early 90s, playing alongside Justin Robertson. Think it was the night he played Duran Duran- Save a Prayer. A brilliant set from a brilliant DJ.

4 Likes

Mark Seven at Cutloose stands out as an absolute cracker and Baldelli at Nado is another that I wish I could teleport back toā€¦

1 Like

The first time I went to the Loft in New York, the disco ball fell on someoneā€™s head.

13 Likes

All time fav - Alfredo - Amnesia June ā€˜89 - Hill Street Blues Theme. Lessons in DJing. Possibly last song, although I canā€™t remember if it was nighttime or morning Ha! All open air at that time (roof went on in ā€˜91?). Iā€™ve since tried to repeat this Experience while DJing but was in danger of getting bottled off :joy: , Deffo a time and place record.

7 Likes

Around 6am on a boat off the coast of Rimini in 91, hearing Andrew (God rest his Soul) Weatherall play Templehead by Transglobal Underground ā€¦never heard it before & after the nites/mornings shenanigans, it was quite surrealā€¦then a police helicopter made us dock on beach with a group of old Italian Ladies do some exercise class on the beach just where we landed, a mob bedraggled clubbers having to wander through there class to get off the boat. :crazy_face: ā€¦never get out of the boat, absolutely God damn right :notes:

8 Likes

@SeanieR Sounds ace. Gutted we missed the Rimini trip. I can remember the first time I heard Templehead was at Menace in Paddington. We were freaking out as it sounded amazing and so different. A pal ran up to the DJ to ask the name. He came back with ā€˜Tanglewoodā€™. We spent the next couple of weeks trying to track it down haha! Mad times pre-internet trying to find records.

6 Likes

We had the same thing trying to find out what Hardfloor ā€˜Acperianceā€™ was. Walking round shops singing the whistl-y bit with no one having a clue what we were on aboutā€¦

And yeah agreed. Rimini sounds a perfect time and place to hear that recordā€¦ First time I heard it was Weatherall as well. Canā€™t remember whereā€¦

2 Likes

Haha. I can remember the ā€˜Iā€™m after the one that goes dum, dum, din, din, have you got it?ā€™ record shop moments. Yes Hardfloor was another ā€˜momentā€™ for sure.

Would love nothing more than to be on the dancefloor at Cosmic Slop with the residents playing through that soundsystem in that room. The most vivid memory is of Clouds by Chaka Khan coming through a soundtrack of lightning and rain.

Another memorable one is Mark Seven in the back room of the Garage in Leeds.

6 Likes

Tanglewoodā€¦brilliant :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes::+1:

Think I went to Menace a few times, was it in the Star(light?) club under the Great Western Hotel?

1 Like

@SeanieR Yes thatā€™s the one. Starlight. Lots of great memories of that place. Steve Bicknell used to do Kazoo there, and then it became Menace. Previous to that Giles Peterson did something there I think (?)

Wow yeah! Thats the one, went on Gilles Fri ? night once. But it was probably the Kazoo night Iā€™d go (Saturdays?) ā€¦though saying that I dont remember the music being very HEAVY, so maybe it wasnā€™t Steve Bicknellā€™s nite,???

1 Like

@SeanieR 1990 Kazoo, yes Saturdays. Yes, it was Steve B, but pre LOST stuff, so it was Balearic stuff of the time at Kazoo. Pretty short lived (maybe 6 weeks), I think SB wanted to do more harder House/Techno. There is an interview he did with DJHistory online. Remember the Boys Own / The Farm night? The End crew came down and were selling the fanzine in the club. The Farm did a few songs on a tiny stage if I remember. Things were really buzzing then Werenā€™t they, loads of great little clubs springing up.

2 Likes

every year I travel for one night only (cause of work I cant stay more) to pikes hotel for Dj Harvey Mercury Rising Party on Monday.
I would say the best year for me was 2016-2017, running from 10 to 6am and everything was still so ruff in that small sweaty room, free entrance, really reasonable prices at the bar, free swimming pool, still cant get trough the feeling of those allnighters, absolutely unique music and everyone was there just to have fun.
Theres must be something cosmic happening on Mondays over there
A room a light and a feeling
First time I went, Lovefingers was doing the warmup by the pool, didnā€™t really know him or even that he was behind ESP institute, I end up dancing most of the night with the gentleman, now Im a super fan of his label.
Randomly catch him a year after in the same place

the day after wasnā€™t much fun going back to work straight from the airport, but I would do it over and over

9 Likes

Sub Club NYE 2008

Harri & Dom dropping Mad Mike & Davina - Donā€™t You Want It?!

tinglesā€¦

5 Likes

Humphries finishing off the CREAM all nighter FULL ON 1993 in the Zoo bar, he had stopped playing for a few minutes at the end, light where on, people leaving and he dropped PLASTIC DREAMS cue everyone running back in and the place going nuts!!!

3 Likes

Melting Pot circa 2012 doing a night that was a tribute to Larry Levan and Paradise Garage. Penultimate song was ā€œStand On The Wordā€ and everyone was going wild and I thought it was the last song of the night and what a way to end. And then following it up with the acapella of ā€œLove Sensationā€ was even better. 200 folk in a basement singing along to it after what had already been a great night.

2 Likes

The first Houghton festival in Aug 2017. Saturday afternoon, lovely sunny day. The Quarry had Mr Scruff followed by Weatherall in full chug mode followed by Optimo. 4 hr sets each. A special day for many reasons not least because it turned out to be the last time I heard a full set by Weatherall and he tore it up. Also the fact that my mate and I snuck out from our family holiday in Norfolk to goā€¦Saturday afternoon and back at dawn on Sunday. Still donā€™t know how we got away with that oneā€¦!

2 Likes

@Dave & @SeanieR There were some good nights at Starlightsā€¦Kazoo was a good night; had a bit of a Monkey Drum vibe to itā€¦lots of what we called ā€˜alternativeā€™ at the time (seem to remember the live version of Depeche Mode Just Cant Get Enough being a big tune there)
Menace was great nightā€¦ā€˜home of the scream upā€™ is what I think Boys Own called it :grinning: DJā€™ed there a few times and know the boys that ran itā€¦good lads.

Also Loud Noise started there on a Thursdayā€¦I cant remember if it stayed there but I was there the first night when it got raided and everyone ended up trying to get in at Future!

As you say Daveā€¦lots of good shit going on!

2 Likes

yep! if you can cut through the hype around him, those are (were?) beautiful parties. to get that intimate vibe in IBZ in this day/age is a minor miracle. too many tunes, all a haze but do remember having a ā€˜momentā€™ to Gatto Fritto Invisible College at the 2017 one

1 Like