Jockey slut - possible return

Jockey slut are hoping to run a twice year magazine. If you bought their Weatherall book you may have a link to a survey in your email. Hope this goes ahead, it was a sad day when the slut ended. I found so much new music in their pages and still love the idea of physical magazines. The internet is great but having stuff curated into a single easy to read packages is something I really miss.

What with the return of Faith as well maybe the world is realising sometimes the old ways worked quite well.

16 Likes

Would be nice agreed, but so many obstacles these days.

The antiquated distribution channels are a complete nightmare to get your product out into the shops. Subscription is equally fraught with expense once you get into decent numbers you need to survive, Advertising too, another revenue area dying on it’s arse. Printing is all but impossible in this country economically. And that is before you get started on Office/staff etc. You need some deep pockets to get going.

Not to say that it is impossible, but it’s very very hard. The old adage about how to make a million in Publishing is to start with 10 still rings true. ( I think I stole that from another Industry but you get the drift).

Used to like JS too… :ok_hand:

4 Likes

I just wish things would stop comimg back. Myself included.

6 Likes

Im biased on this front but I think this would be great. They had the perfect mix of knowledge, fandom, irreverence and playfulness.

5 Likes

I think a bi-annual publication with more long form stuff in Jockey Slut’s house style would be a good look. hope it comes off

5 Likes

I bought JS regularly from about '95 to '02 or something when i fell outta love with the music, would like to see it come back, i’m currently reading their book on Lord Sabre.
Is Faith coming back as well?
Used to love seeing a new copy when i called into Piccadilly Records, always a happy surprise.
Still got my old copies of both.
Will Faith be free in record shops like it used to be?

2 Likes

Yes Faith is back… Here you go > https://www.faith.london/

1 Like

Anybody heading to the faith 21st birthday at The Cause?

1 Like

Thanks for the insight. Always good to learn new stuff.

I suppose Faith have got the sponsorship of Defected which it makes it possible to produce and distribute in this crazy world we live in.

You’d hope the love generated by the AW book might inspire someone to back a new Jockey Slut.

I’d love to see it a few times a year alongside Faith and Record Magazine.

I just had this horrible thought that Defected might be behind this too. Please someone tell me this isn’t so…

Yes I think defected have done a good job at just letting them get on with it. Faiths in good shape. Quality mag.

4 Likes

Yes going for the 2:30pm entry, planning to pump fists in the air extra hard to make up for lost time.

1 Like

ooooh a magazines thread!

i am/have been an avid buyer of the printed word in magazine form. I love the smell of fresh ink on first open…

revivals of Straight No Chaser, Faith and now the possibility of JS make me happy.

Although, looking at what happened with The Face, and it’s cost is a telling example of the realities, not that I’ve bought any…

2 Likes

Really? I daren’t look at the actiual magazine, but talk to me about some of the names in their top 50 DJs?

I hear lots of girls that l"ook like Bianca Jagger in her heyday" will be there. (Definitely no “fat birds”)

Not sure about the chaps. I suspect much will depend on how sleep patterns are holding up in the suburbs in the days leading up to the event.

2 Likes

I got two tickets.

3 Likes

We need to find an eccentric balearic billionaire to fund a TP magazine

4 Likes

I would love that. Yes please!! Step up. I’ve got tons of things that need funding. :grinning::grinning:

2 Likes

If you hold on five years, and are suitably obedient, Defected will probably be along?

No-one’s denied they might be involved with the Jockey Slut relaunch yet?

Are Defected really awful? Never really heard much about them.

I did laugh when Weller went on over of Faith, he hated House music until he saw he could make a few quid off it. His attempt at Promised Land was truly abysmal but it did make a bit for Joe Smooth so not all bad.

3 Likes