Jockey slut - possible return

That I’m not allowed to answer that question ought to tell you everything you need to know.

Over and out. Goodnight everyone.

That unreleased ‘house’ album was pretty horrific. There was a good reason it was unreleased haha.

I guess Weller could be seen as very “house” within their framework (similarly to how we all often piss about with “well Balearic”). He’s pretty forward thinking.

Here’s an edit of one of the tracks from the album… Admittedly I cut all the Weller bits out :joy:

Wax Poetics is returning too. They’ve run a Kickstarter campaign and it will be the same as the proposed JS return - 2 printed editions per year.

3 Likes

It’s why magazines work for me. You’re unlikely to be interested in everything in it, but because it’s in the mag and you’re stuck on the train, you read cover to cover. You may still not be interested by the end of it or you may be going I’ll see if I can pick that up next time I’m in Phonica.

Better than the scroll, scroll, scroll of the internet where there’s no cost to ignoring things that don’t catch your interest in the first five seconds.

I’d much prefer them to come back with a well thought out online offering.

I haven’t brought a magazine in years and as I’ve been moving countries a bit have ditched all my old mags apart from my Straight No Chaser collection. I brought the first Straight No Chaser come back edition, but on reading it I found out that I’d pretty much stumbled across all of their content online anyway and some of it seemed somewhat outdated (in internet terms i.e. a few weeks old) and I didn’t buy any more after that.

One suggestion (if you’re listening Jockey Slut), put out the reviews and fast moving content online and then charge micropayments for quality long form journalism - interviews, genuine features (not PR exercises) etc. Oh yeah and ignore Business Techno unless it’s calling out the plague rave plums, I think we’ve all had enough of those same old faces from every other mag.

1 Like

Yep I must admit magazines are not one thing I miss. I haven’t bought one since learning to drive over 25 years ago. Train and bus fodder.

Read and still have all my Jockey Sluts, loved it but these days I read all the music mags on ‘Readly’ from Shindig, Prog, Mojo, Record Collector, Uncut, Electronic Sound etc. for £7.99 a month. Not sure printed mags are feasible in this age but think it could work on a platform like ‘Readly’. The electronic/dance music world needs a good mag and Jockey Slut was the best, fingers crossed.

1 Like

genuine question - what would a good magazine look like to you in 2021?

I don’t like being on my phone in front of my kids but think that a book / magazine sets a great example. Much prefer physical.

7 Likes

My gut feeling says: don’t do it, let it stay a noughties memory. The re-fry will be a boutique object for 40-somethingers because the format, unlike vinyl, doesn’t ring a bell with the current generation.

1 Like

I think any Magazine who’s subject matter is visual and has some amazing photography trumps social media’s tiny images and could be a success. Nothing like seeing big quality images in print. Doubt JS will have that… in many ways a website is the perfect medium for music journalism, you can actually hear what is being talked about. Medium is the message innit.

2 Likes

who’s got pdf’s of the og’s ?

1 Like

Wait for it…

…Honey Dijon

…oh

2 Likes

Maybe I’m in the minority now, but I love a good magazine. Something that surprises you, the mixture of the strange and the familiar, that is a pleasure to hold–something exciting in the post. Marshall McLuhan said that for most people reading a newspaper is like getting into a warm bath–I guess I feel that way about magazines. We love Noble Rot, Apartamento, Kennedy, Record, even interior stuff like Cabana. Kennedy is great because I always find something I didn’t know about before and because it’s clearly a labor of love. And in a small way it’s fun getting the big packet covered in Greek stamps knowing what’s inside.

3 Likes

Still a few good mags out there - I’ve been enjoying Weird Walk, Maggot Brain, Electronic Sound…would be well up for a ‘new’ Jockey Slut and hope it focuses on newer acts…

1 Like

Thing is, we all know exactly where Jockey Slut went wrong. It was great when based in Manchester and covered lots of different things… as soon as it moved to London and did nothing but electroclash articles it went to shite.
Please not yet another Felix the Housecat cover!

2 Likes

Yep, i lost interest then.
Electroclash lol

lol that’s maybe a bit too harsh

1 Like

Whatever you think of honey Dijon (I’m indifferent) the issue itself is great. One of the most comprehensive dives in to outer Brooklyn clubs and dj’s I’ve ever seen and a GM Flowers/Loft dancing piece for the price of postage is okay with me.

5 Likes