Getting through lockdown tip sheet

One of the great things about having a dog is that it forces you to go out no matter what. I can’t imagine life without one now.

2 Likes

Always had dogs growing up.Roscoe p Coltrane ll we’ve had 4 or 5 years now

3 Likes

And me. Beautiful dog and good name :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

1 Like

This is my little fella, Bowie. Half dog, half alien. He equally keeps me sane/drives me round the bend

5 Likes

4 Likes

Being in Australia, I feel very fortunate that things have returned to normal. Clubs and concerts are back at full capacity and there haven’t been any new cases in a while.

One thing that helped me when we were in lockdown was to unsubscribe form all news services on social media. They know that fear gets clicks, so will fill your head with negative bullshit.

Subscribe to a positive newsletter instead. I can recommend Austin Kleon - a creative guy with great content.

2 Likes

I’ve had a pretty tough time these last couple of months, hence a lack of contribution here and elsewhere. It seems that a combination of ‘Rumination’ and ‘Imposter syndrome’ could be causing a depression. Chatting to friends I know i’m not alone feeling like this.
Not making many new memories seems to cause my thoughts to ruminate on mostly negative experiences throughout my life.
I have started skateboarding again which is a helpful distraction. The thing with skating is that if you think about anything else whilst doing it, you inevitably hurt yourself!:joy:
Ive been marking my progress on IG as Lazy Simon Skates as a method of accountability. Day 3 was my badly bruised foot👌.
I’ve still been buying records but really with an eye to the future. Haven’t been playing or even listening much at all.
The contributions in here have all been very welcome.:+1:

6 Likes

I’ve found that having a house project helps. I’ve just bought these Victorian doors to replace some shitty modern reproduction ones. I’m going to clean, sand, wax and put glass in the top two panels.

4 Likes

Everyone likes plants, right? Well grow yourself a nice avocado plant.

Take an avocado stone and stick 3 toothpicks in near the top of the smaller end. Put that into a glass/jar full of water so the stone is at least half immersed. Leave somewhere with good light.

After a good few weeks, you will have a root sprout from the bottom. Hey presto, plant it in some soil.
You’ll need to repot a few times. This one was after 4 months.

10 Likes

In all over that as soon as I’m finished work… :+1:

1 Like

Skating is great way to clear the noise between your ears, probably skated more in the last year than I did since finding Rave, women, pills and so on in around 1992. 49 next month and a mate done 40 trick on his 40th birthday I foolishly excepted the challenge… :zipper_mouth_face: My re issue Dune deck from early 90s is as close to the boards I skated back then so no excuses.

4 Likes

Lovely! I’m not sure I had 16 tricks when I was 16 let alone 40 at 40!:joy: Superb!
I’ve bought myself a freestyle setup as that’s what i was into as a kid. It’s not just the skating which I’ve found beneficial but also a very generous and encouraging community, not unlike this place actually. Really supportive of any level of knowledge or skill. It’s interest and enthusiasm that counts. (thankfully!)
I’m 52 this year and have set myself a trick a week to learn…oh hang on. :+1:

4 Likes

I say tricks you can do the same thing just on different ramp or steps or ledge… So in looking at 40+ 180 kick turns to get me over the finish line. I can still manage a kick flip or two…
This clip really blew my mind last night…

1 Like

They’re good for presents too. I started one on the day my nephew was born and gave it as a gift on his first birthday last week.

Insane. The kick flip UP the stairs!:fire:

2 Likes

Full throttle

Last board I bought, bits from Slam City, used to skate to work. Just hangs around the house now for anyones kids. Have a nice deck collection but hung up my skate shoes now (58). Still surfing, old bones take too long to heal.

2 Likes

I’m going to have a crack at growing one. The scale in your photo is making my brain go funny, it either looks like the plant is too big or your records are too small :woozy_face: edit: I think it’s because the plant pot looks like a plastic cup

3 Likes

I just sold my 1987 Hosoi Hammerhead board, Hosoi wheels and Indy trucks. I was considering trying to get back on it but I wasn’t a great skater as a teenager let alone a 6’4” bloke approaching 50.

So I’m a kind of proxy skater!

I really do find things like the Thrasher IG very therapeutic to watch. The level of tricks and generally insane skating is incredible and way beyond those Search for Animal Chin vibes I grew up on.

Wish you all the best @LazySimon I know it’s hard to see it sometimes but I really feel positive that life as we know it is returning.

1 Like

That’s a classic board set up… Was it in good condition?