Getting through lockdown tip sheet

I was wondering what tips people are doing to get through lockdown. I’ve gone full on for the jogging / walking vibe. 7:30 am out for a right wander. Lunch > hour wander. Evening > wander. Lots of air and wander and podcasts on the wander. I think its working ok. A few head in the bin days but bar that pretty alright. Also tried to learn the piano and that is sort of working though hard to motivate myself to do it…

12 Likes

Lots of walking, keeping a routine, trying to learn new skills and taking plenty of time offline and off screens… Luckily living in ibiza and getting to explore the island fully with big walks…

5 Likes

I built myself a pub in the garden this summer. I then made a ‘Sjoelbak’ or Dutch Shuffleboard game to go in it. Every evening I spend an hour or so shuffling and listening to music and shuffling. Last nights soundtrack was ‘Sex’ by The Necks, after a tip off from RufDug via my friend Hamish. Utterly absorbing in every way.

5 Likes

Whats the pub called ? : )

1 Like

Getting out and walking the dog has been a godsend. Nature and exercise are the two things that make the biggest difference to my mindset.

Have also been dabbling in meditation, Among Us, Swimming (when the pools were open), juicing vegetables and controlled crying.

8 Likes

Is this a thing? Genuine question.

A bit like lucid dreaming, but sadder?

1 Like

That bit was a joke. But it’s a real thing for babies

2 Likes

Actually we just call it the Pub, seeing as it’s the only one now.
The Occasional Table was mooted last time I had people round, which seems a very long time ago now sadly.

1 Like

Walking the dog, running and watching old episodes of Grand Designs.

2 Likes

I try to stick to a daily routine of exercise, dog walks, meditation and Deutsch learning. Also have a hard rule of no phone or laptop for the few hours of the day, which really makes a difference.

New series of GD on here now. More of the same basically. But now with the added frisson of a global pandemic in addition to not having the roof on before winter

1 Like

Just finished the new season. Incredible episodes based on failures… One guy put about 3.5 million into a project that never got finished and caused him to split with his wife. Its not the joyous program of old it appears :grimacing::joy:

2 Likes

Also taken up piano. Really need to be disciplined with the practice but so hard to make the time and being rubbish is frustrating :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Yeah, been watching that. Been some good ones so far. Always guaranteed a mid-construction pregnancy/marriage/terminal illness, now with added covid-complexity

2 Likes

Since April, walking, doing workout which is new instead of clubbing lol, dancing, cooking, napping often :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: & of course listening to music

Fully. Though loved learning sevenths. Thats been a game changer. But now my ears know those so I have to actually learn to read music which is well long.

Old David Letterman videos from his NBC shows have lightened the mood here, for sure. Lots of it on YouTube. Walking whenever possible. And finally getting around to properly learning Ableton…

2 Likes

Not drinking is really helping. And lots of screens. Big one for nighttime, medium one for daytime, little one at all other times.

1 Like

Random new habit #287
in europe is citrus season, I started hand squeezing fresh OJ for family every morning, thinking of the smell, and oils on hands is a good thing to go to sleep thinking about, and then wake up to. smell lasts in the kitchen for a hour aswell :slight_smile:

3 Likes