Fact For The Day

Wiki says via Dutch possibly from Malay, but I like yours better!

1 Like

The famous Desert Island Discs theme, By the Sleepy Lagoon, was inspired by the view on a warm, still summer evening looking across the “lagoon” from the east beach at Selsey towards Bognor Regis.

5 Likes

LONSDALE t-shirts are popular with the far right in Germany because if you wear them with an open jacket they spell NSDA (Nazi party)

7 Likes

helly Hansen is also apparently a no go with HH an acronym for Heiling that angry guy with the moustache

tho, I have brown skin so I rekon I’m fine with wearing a Helly🤣

4 Likes

12 Likes

One of the many tricks they don’t teach you at school. Learning must be painful!

4 Likes

That led to much conversation at dinner with half the table trying to disprove it,
and failing miserably

3 Likes

If you ever struggle to reconcile numbers if the difference is a multiple of 9 then you’ve likely transposed 2 digits.

3 Likes

I used this a lot throughout my degree

1 Like

The commutative law of multiplication is embedded in the National Curriculum from KS1 and up (e.g. if 4 x 2 = 8 then 2 x 4 = 8) and has been for a long as I remember.

I’ve spent a big chunk of my life teaching 8-11 year-olds and as the person who introduces them to percentages, I can confirm that I definitely teach them that percentages can be reversed in this way. It’s the commutative law again (in this example, 8 x 25 ÷ 100 is the same as 25 x 8 ÷ 100).

So it depends what school you went to (or if you were paying attention in maths lessons :slight_smile: )

7 Likes

I was yesterday years old when I discovered Miquel Brown is Sinitta’s mum.

1 Like

The fire in the Warren House Inn, Devon, has been burning since 1845.

9 Likes

I think we’ve been commenting on that every time we drive by for almost as long. One of those family things.

2 Likes

A friend mentioned it today and had to Google. Impressive!

There can be no more than three Friday the 13ths in a single calendar year.

7 Likes

CDs run at 74 minutes long because that’s the length of Beethoven’s 9th.

5 Likes

50 years ago, only 3 people lived in Cancun.

5 Likes

I’d never really taken this onboard before.

2 Likes

I don’t hate writing it, but I have never yet written a 5 that I thought looked any good, it’s just a big speed bump when writing.

2 Likes

I think we all have our letters/numbers/symbols that trip us up.

who here can pen a perfect ampersand?

1 Like