Fact For The Day

This got me poking around on Wikipedia - the ampersand developed from the Latin “et”:

2 Likes

Gordon Lightfoot (RIP) sued over plagiarism (24 bars from “If You Could Read My Mind” used in “Greatest Love of All”) but dropped the suit and settled to avoid dragging Whitney Houston into it…what a mensch.

1 Like

More of a “top tip” than a fact, but if you regularly have to call a number and then select an option (like press 1 for blah), you can dial it all in one go on a mobile using two commas between the numbers:

number , , option
number , , option , , extension

News to me, anyway!

6 Likes

We need a life hack thread. Lifehack videos are second after dog videos for bringing me joy… : )

5 Likes

Some trash but also some good stuff!

Today Years Old

Ever noticed the apparent two arguing faces on the Canadian flag. I never see a leaf anymore after seeing this.
canada-flag.gif
38a

3 Likes

Sonys first worldwide hit from 1957.

A pocket sized radio…the TR-63.

9 Likes

Have to say I do love a wee life hack. I’m still getting over discovering that you fold the tabs in on the end of clingfilm/foil rolls to stop it coming out when you pull it. That and sticking a scrunched up piece of kitchen roll with a bit of fairy liquid and some warm water in a Tupperware/takeaway carton then closing the lid and shaking it until it magically absorbs all the food residue are two of the most revelatory things I discovered during lockdown.

3 Likes

That tupperware thing sounds good, giving it a go later.

2 Likes

Doesn’t disappoint

3 Likes

If this works with a heavy turmeric curry, my mind will be genuinely blown.

3 Likes

Looking forward to when you get round to trying

1 Like

Hope there’s no young forum members reading this… Lol

7 Likes

Today is World Goth Day :bat:

2 Likes

the local radio station is celebrating it and while the music is pretty good, the radio announcing is just awful. pun after pun after pun. i kept yelling “GOTHS DO NOT ENJOY WORDPLAY” at the radio.

https://kexp.org/playlist/?month=May&day=22&year=2023&hour=9%3A00&ampm=AM&offset=0

3 Likes

Bit of an odd day to have it, the height of Spring (Northern Hemisphere at least), i’d have thought the middle of November or the dead of Winter might be more apt.

5 Likes

Totes! Maybe it’s when they need the moral support the most. Like Xmas at the darkest time of year.

2 Likes

Happy Goth Day, everybody!

https://youtu.be/_VzitY2nJyE

1 Like

“The question is, where do young people go in the dark hours of the London night”

Not sure why they couldn’t find any actual Goth to play as a soundtrack. Watch till the end for an interesting period piece on life in the Welsh valleys

There are young forum members? :rofl:

1 Like