Fact For The Day

Bluetooth was named after a 10th century Scando king.

21 Likes

Good fact!

Scholars say Harald was nicknamed “Blåtand,” meaning blue tooth, because he had a dead tooth that looked blue and dark

1 Like

There are more atoms in a teaspoon of water than there are teaspoons of water in the Atlantic Ocean

15 Likes

CAPTCHA (aka bane of the bloody internet) stands for “Completely Automated Public Turing test to tell Computers and Humans Apart”

9 Likes

German beer can give you a hangover :beer:

4 Likes

Mind blown haha… That’s amazing.

Double mind blown… :exploding_head:

1 Like

Around 99.5% of the mass of an atom is in the nucleus (protons + neutrons), which are ridiculously small. So small that you could fit the mass of every human being on the planet into a space the size of a sugar cube. Although that sugar cube would weigh the same as over 7 billion people!

Atoms, us and everything else, are mainly *empty space, with a tiny bit of mass.

*a simplification, there’s no such thing as empty space :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

TWAIN was the protocol for connecting macs & scanners, it stands for Thing Without An Interesting Name

8 Likes

Love this thread already!

racks brain for something interesting to add

Keep ‘em coming.

3 Likes

Axl Rose is an anagram of ---- —

3 Likes

Ha! Didn’t know that. Good one. BJ for short…

Not the best but… Australia is wider than the Moon.

13 Likes

No freaking way?! Amazing.

2 Likes

Sinister is the Latin word for left-handed.

6 Likes

The thing that always blows my mind is the scales of time, space & everything. An atom is so small it’s almost beyond imagination. Yet that is still pretty massive in the grand scheme of things. If an atom was the size of a football stadium, the nucleus (with all the mass) would still be about the size of an insect. Every seemingly solid object is mostly empty space.
The smallest unit of the Universe is the Planck length, which is unimaginably smaller than the nucleus of an atom - a place in which time no longer exists.
Yet, on the larger scale, a galaxy is a grain of sand, a mere speck of dust in a big nothingness. Even if we could travel at the speed of light, it would take 100,000 years to go from one side of the Milky Way to the other. This fact, for me, is why we will never meet other intelligent beings.

9 Likes

I remember seeing this film 40+ years ago and the scale of the universe blew my schoolboy mind.

12 Likes

If you turn a can of ting upside down it spells bum.

11 Likes

More people play table tennis in China at a semi pro /league club level, than there are people in Australia.

10 Likes

Yeah love that video

1 Like