Best of '21 - End of Year list / chart

That’s the beauty of forums… We’ll be back on track in no time.

2 Likes

Added

1 Like

Nice list, but I’m surprised you don’t have Lauer’s full length on here. Loved that one.

1 Like

1 Pharoah Sanders/Floating Points - Promises

2 Skee Mask - Pool
3 Joy Orbison - Still Slipping

Two comps I really liked are the Planet Love vol 1 on Safe Trip and Heisei No Oto on Music From Memory

4 Likes
  1. MAXINE FUNKE – SÉANCE
  2. NIKO TZOUKMANIS – HOPE IS THE SISTER OF DESPAIR
  3. FLOATING POINTS, PHARAOH SANDERS – PROMISES
  4. ABOUTFACE – S
  5. JOHN CARROLL KIRBY – SEPTET

Reissue/comps

1. HEISEI NO OTO – JAPANESE LEFTFIELD POP FROM THE CD AGE
  2. DAVID HORRIDGE AND KEVIN MCCORMICK – LIGHT PATTERNS
  3. ARTHUR RUSSELL – ANOTHER THOUGHT
  4. A POSITIVE LIFE – SYNAESTHETIC
  5. MARIO RUI SILVA – STORIES FROM ANOTHER TIME
9 Likes

This is so good. Thanks

4 Likes

Love “Moody Relish” on the Maxine Funke.

I tried with Floating Points but found it really boring. Seemed to be alone on that though!

7 Likes

I like it, but was a bit disappointed tbh. The Nala Sinephro LP blew it out the water for me in the ambient/psychedelic/electronic jazz category.

2 Likes

Mostly spent this year listening to Internet radio and other mixes but heres my spotify playlist

Downtempo with some techno

5 Likes

Fav 12" Reissue:
Mario Rui Silva - stories from another time

Fav 12" soundtrack:
Mihály Víg - Music From Béla Tarr’s Sátántangó

Fav Vinyl 12” / ep: Kurtis - the Curtis vodka ep
Haramia Tapes aka Laurine Frost - Daydreamin’ (Baroque Sunburst)

Fav 7”s: Moonscape Waltz / Few Layers For Smith by Misha Panfilov Sound Combo
U- Joy of Labour
reissue: En to End – Money Talks

Fav Cassettes: DJ Iche – Nai Yetu
Death Is Not The End - The Letter Tape Series

Favourite 12" compilation: Giegling 2020 (released in 2021)

3 Likes

I’m currently working at Amazon and it’s the most soul destroying job I’ve ever had.

3 Likes

You’ll be glad to know you are not alone :grinning:

1 Like

And this

1 Like

I don’t want to glibly dismiss Sam’s work because he is so creative and passionate but I suppose I was hooked by the insane hype & maybe expected something mindblowing. Hype’s a funny thing. There was a time when for instance whenever anyone out of the Duncan/Bullock/Harvey camp did something new, the internet would just melt with excitement, making it really hard to listen with open ears. It’s only now years later i can listen to say map of africa and cherrypick the better bits objectively. Soz for the waffling. Hope that makes sense

9 Likes

Makes total sense to me. Perhaps my hopes were far too high for this one. On paper, this was a release I was ready to be blown away by. Anticipation and expectation were possibly too high, but I can’t deny to being a bit, meh.

2 Likes

Another from early in the year

I´ve had no expectations from this album at all. Also the ambient/jazz whatever label means nothing to me. It’s the warm,and soothing playing of Sanders that move me to tears. To hear Pharoah Sanders in the twilight of his life gives this comforting music to the world, makes it one of the best records that I’ve ever heard.

5 Likes

I will end up getting this on vinyl at some point. I don’t dislike it at all, just didn’t meet my, admittedly, high expectations. This kind of music is 100% my thing.

1 Like

Totally agree with you on the Nala Sinephro LP btw

2 Likes