Best of '21 - End of Year list / chart

Not really had any moolah for the last two years but just got a crappy job so looking froward to spending some cash on some bits from here, just got that great Joy Orbison from Bandcamp.

8 Likes

congrats on the job! I hope it isn’t too crappy.

4 Likes

Cheers, yeah it’s pretty crappy, bit of an eye opener but hey could be worse. :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

Best bit of kit/tech of 2021

Lovely thing this and perfect for the stoner on the move. Perfect for those weekend trips away.

2 Likes

No linky/image, but sound intriguing!

Been able to whittle this down to one EP and one LP this year.

12":
CZN - Commutator

LP:
HTRK - Rhinestones

Mix:
MFM Mix 032: soFa elsewhere

Best new radio show:
Tilly on NTS

Best discovery from others’ End of Year lists:
Alex Kassian - Leave Your Life (Lonely Hearts Mix)

Edited now

Intrigued now as i reckon it’ll be better than my job and i’ll get depressed!!

3 Likes

Maybe we should start a ‘What’s the shittest job you’ve ever had’ thread, think my current one would win hands down, but been lucky so far.

5 Likes

I once got a job in the laundry at Southern General Hospital in Glasgow and was told on day one, I would be starting on the “dirty” team. Don’t think I need to go into a description of just what we were dealing with.

After day 2, I had the worst stomach bug I’ve ever had (and I have two kids) and never went back. That experience has made me be thankful in every job since, no matter how bad.

7 Likes

Yes congrats on the job… :tada:

1 Like

I worked in a hardware store when I was 18 with a guy I swear the fast show based Swiss Tony on, he was good looking had a somewhat famous cousin and so many words of wisdom.

2 Likes

We went to a trade fair in Germany and he brought an interpreter with him :flushed: a young German girl who worked in the office next door…

1 Like

I used to have to clean the balls at McDonalds after kids puked in them. That was grim.

3 Likes

Albums

Suzanne Kraft ‘About You’
Space Afrika ‘Honest Labour’
Anthony Naples ‘Chameleon’
Andy Stott ‘Never the Right Time’
Dreamcastmoe ‘After all this’

Other highlights

Hieroglyphic Being’s and Aleksi Perala’s output on Bandcamp always some gems.

Discovering Parkway Records

6 Likes

My first ‘job’ was as an 11yo, i had to stand in the centre of Market St in Manchester city centre, mostly stood on tip toes to see over the mass of shoppers heads, on Saturdays & look out for the police as my uncles sold cheap tat with no license to do so.
If I saw a copper’s helmet (lol) moving up towards us i had to shout " Heads Up!" before we all quickly dispersed till the copper had moved on then it started again.
I got a tenner for my efforts.

10 Likes

My mate dxxx who is did lots of photography for southport, got a job at a garden centre and through boredom spun a whole web of nonsense including the fact he was a single parent and thats why he couldnt go to the after work drinks. Obviously as time passed his ‘explanations’ became more elaborate. His workmate asked what school his kid went to and what age his kid was ? Same school. Same age? Come to the 6th birthday party. Answer " his mums kidnapped him and so he cant come " Q 'You dont seem very worried?" A " Its the medication they have given me"

8 Likes

Lol. We a have a legend here who put on an English accent some nights chatting up girls and more than once he had to keep it up with ones he met that travelled down for whatever dj over the years… Always had people asking for English Bobby :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

I worked bussing tables at an IHOP (a sort of American 24 hr breakfast food chain) for a semester during uni. The servers were split between two groups: methheads who would come in looking rather worse for the wear but did their jobs efficiently (if somewhat erratically) and the previous generation who had gotten pregnant, dropped out of school and were stuck. The latter group’s kids worked at other diners and were repeating the same mistakes of their parents–you really saw the circle of life. Clients ranged from goths camping out in the smoking section sipping bottomless coffee to church-y folk coming in for their post-sermon brunch. Several waitresses became pregnant and the manager referred to them as “cook-related pregnancies”. The freezer would break down and all the meat would thaw and drip over things–they would just refreeze and not throw anything away. The owner was accused of animal cruelty and later took his own life. It was a very grim scenario.

5 Likes

We have moved on from best of 2021 to worst ever…my fault. Sorry xx

3 Likes