Best of '21 - End of Year list / chart

Album of the year for me is Cleo Sol’s “Mother”. The combination of her superb honeyed voice, Inflo’s production and the understated small ensemble playing make it a rewarding repeat listen. No matter how many times I play this, new colours emerge and make the world a better place.

Other notable favourites were
DJ Format - Devil’s Workshop
Alex Albrecht – Campfire Stories
The Zenmenn - Enter The Zenmenn
El Michels Affair - Yeti Season
Faye Webster - I Know I’m Funny Ha HA
Spencer Cullum - Spencer Cullum’s Coin Collection
Sylvie - Sylvie ep
Mia Doi Todd - Music Life
Bremer/ McCoy - Natten
John Carrol Kirby - Septet
Richard Norris - Music For Healing

Reissues/Comps
Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies
VA - Virtual Dreams
VA - Chill Pill III

10 Likes

John Carrol Kirby is going to have a good year :ok_hand:

6 Likes

Love his stuff with Eddie Chacon

5 Likes

Heisei No Oto was brill. Can’t beat the Music From Memory comps.

5 Likes

I really like Lauer’s tunes but when he makes albums I’d prefer to listen on CD, so I can listen all the way through. I suppose I could buy from Bandcamp and make my own CD. I like buying singles on vinyl rather than albums.

Same here. I tried a couple of times as everone seemed to be crazy about it. It’s ok but i never got the feeling for it.

Yep. Two standouts for me as well.

1 Like

I thought it was really boring and cheesy, like the soundtrack to the dramatic penultimate scene of a Very Serious BBC Drama

Here’s my top 20 downloads chart for 2021

Top 20 Downloads for 2021

1 Like

With pharaoh clearly still able to play so beautifully, I would have loved to hear him in a more traditional setting rather than smothered in payless-Eno soundscapes.

If the recent Anthony Braxton output suggests anything it’s that these dudes have aged like a good wine and should be enjoyed while they’re still here with us.

1 Like

Hi all - new to this forum but a longtime fan of the blog and of course a music lover. 2021 was a great year for releases. Narrowing down the list was tough but below are some personal highlights - hopefully some new ones for you all to discover and enjoy. Happy listening!

EPs

• Session Victim - Two Crowns [Delusions of Grandeur DOG84]
  • Moomin - The Snoofer [Oath OATH002]
  • Hiver - Sequential Circuits [Polifonic PF002]
  • Upsammy - Bend [Dekmantel DKMTNL 087]
  • Anunaku - 042 [AD 93 WHYT042]
  • Tunnelvisions - End of Time [Atomnation ATMV089]
  • Joaquin Cornejo - Las Frutas [Earthly Measures Local Global Recordings EARTHLY005]
  • Red Axes - Some Lights [Phantasy Sound PH108]
  • Fulltone - Love In Space [All Day I Dream ADID069]

Albums

• Felipe Gordon - A Landscape Onomatopeya [SHALL NOT FADE SNFLP008]
  • Joaquin Joe Claussell - Raw Tones [Rekids REKIDS 183]
  • Roger Fakhr - Fine Anwyway [Habibi Funk Records HABIBI016]

Comps & Reissues

• DJ Harvey - Mercury Rising (Volumen Tres) [PIKESLP003]
  • Planet Love Vol. 1 Early Transmissions 1991 - 1995 [Safe Trip ST 021-1LP]
  • Deewee Foundations [Deewee DEWEE050]
  • The Knife - Silent Shout [Mute Mute 9326-1]
11 Likes

That EP is so refreshing to the ears! Great list, and also The Knife reissue!

1 Like

My first exposure to her was her set at Dekmantel 2018, which blew me away. Mixing ambient, IDM, and experimental cohesively is a unique skill and she does it incredibly well. Not my go-to genres most of the time but I still go back to the set fairly often: Upsammy Dekmantel 2018

There’s my Saturday night rabbit hole sorted.

Top list!

1 Like

And my Top 20 Vinyl

Top 20 Vinyl of 2021

2 Likes

That Alex Kassian is great…

1 Like

Mark Rae one I missed… Must check it out

Beautiful

7 Likes

feels like no out and out winners this year, certainly I couldn’t really pick a standout on Brewster’s thread. is everything more fragmented because fewer of us are sharing the same moments at the same venues/events? there was that period when Terje or Tensnake swept up year after year with monster crossover tunes but feels like a long time ago now.

3 Likes

2020 though*

*sorry :wink:

1 Like