Where's Music At?

Here are some dudes making 70’s AOR in 2021 (well 2019 but close enough)

5 Likes

My hopes are there are young people making music in 2021 that will either offend me, confuse me, or totally go over my head.

12 Likes

That should always be the so. :slightly_smiling_face: It’s really easy to be casually dismissive of youth music and culture in general, but I’m always intrigued to dig into it a bit and try and understand it, even if I ultimately won’t listen to it. I’ve got to admit though I’m still gutted people are cranking out the autotune :disappointed_relieved:

1 Like

Today’s find is this dude from Nigeria who I’ve been obsessing over the last couple of days who is distilling rather than diluting the sounds & power of Fela, supported by the ghosts of black music greats & a proper dose of JA dread, Loshh pleasingly distorts the music but the messages of social justice ring loud & clear.

https://open.spotify.com/album/0vFQmGRZ1o3I4jFcb0Nyla

4 Likes

Good call! I’m still amazed that the joys of the Japanese music scene are not talked about, promoted or more accessible in the West. Especially when K-Pop is blowing up

2 Likes

Lots of cool stuff in this style coming out of Lyon and the region. Jonquera, the side project from one of the Pilotwings guys, Bamboo Tapes, Worst Records…

2 Likes

Good stuff! Just purchased:)

I’m hanging in for the Mia Doi Todd LP, she’s amazing and I’m sure teaming up with Laraaji won’t do her any harm. Cleo Sol is great as well. Rudy De Anda sounds up my street, bookmarked that - Cheers :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Kate Bollinger is a find - nice one :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Couple of years old, but it’s a good 'un.

The album ‘AM Waves’ is great too.

2 Likes

Keep On Walking was my pick of their recent output, but that one isn’t on youtube to share with a nice animated video, so…

In the beforetimes i was running a synthwave/ebm/post punky/industrial type night with a friend and i always enjoyed getting the chance to play Boy Harsher.

I would have been shoehorning this Russian indiepop track into a lot of my club sets last year, so maybe it was good that i was unable to.

2 Likes

London trio - this one taken from new album “Private Life”

1 Like

not strictly 2021 (Released Oct 2020).

1 Like

Yeah she’s been on heavy rotation here ever since I found her out.

This dude is also incredible. So much to talk about with the aesthetic, but mainly he’s got the 80’s synth bass lines and catchy choruses down to a T. Also he’s hilarious.

Played these two tracks more than once during gigs to a great reception.

4 Likes

Yes I can’t understand why he doesn’t get more love

this was a late discovery for me. fantastic record.

1 Like

@Adamsrob post in the Is It Balearic thread reminded me of this overlooked album from last year, Clarissa Connelly’s The Voyager:

digital Enya vibes, reminds me a lot of Sign Librae and Kate Bush at her most pastoral, but also there’s that really 90s-sounding guitar tone over parts of it.

2 Likes

5 Likes