Where were yee in '93?

After looking online for a specific track (that I may have imagined), I found this video which I’d not previously seen before but that certainly captures an aspect of my own (somewhat whiffy) essence, around that time. Nostalgia is a bit overbearing right now of course but where were you all at, around this period? I’m presuming from the majority of what I’ve read on the forum, there was a lot more laundry going on and less sleeping on floors, than my lot. We were very partial to a Megadog.

Crusty Flashback

4 Likes

I was born in 93. Can’t really remember what I got up to that year but it wouldn’t have been half as exciting as eating E’s in warehouses

8 Likes

93: Wearing waistcoats and desperately trying to pull mostly. A-level angst and lots of music that sounded like jam & spoon. Leaving home, leaving London. Being a general student twat

4 Likes
  1. Second year of University. Brighton. Zap Club. Positive Sounds. Tonka. Black Rock. Generally misbehaving and loving life.
7 Likes

The year I left school and went to college. Hanging round the village benches smoking weed and generally being a nuisance but just started tentatively going to clubs. Wearing Timberlands and Rockports. Listening to Stu Allan tapes probably.

5 Likes

University in Manchester, holidays back home in Leeds, with all that entailed in 1993!

4 Likes

Eatstatic and Banco De Gaia both played a little sweatbox party near me in ‘93. Everyone had to be scraped off the ceiling that night. Still got both their first albums.
Was an interesting time: post rave and lots of interesting dance music to go at with plenty of cross pollination. Warp were putting out Trance, House, Techno and the AI series which maybe encapsulates the spirit of diversification and variety about?

7 Likes

'93 I was on a real comedown from '89-92, really fell out of love with partying and House (although did go to a few things obvs), got back into some guitar music and more Hip Hop and Acid Jazz type stuff, then Weller’s resurgence, more gigs, but then also Orbital’s Brown album, and more Proggy stuff, Underworld, The Drum Club, System 7, The Orb, Leftfield, Fluke, Spooky etc.

So a bit all over the place! I also got serious and got a proper job and had some money for the first time. Can’t say it was any better than being skint!

5 Likes

Banco de Gaia at club dog at the George Robey in Finsbury Park, would that have been 93.

Flippin loved that Eat static album at the time, haven’t listened to it for years. Free parties in Warehouses in Dalston. Dragonfly Records, The Infinity Project, a bit of Perfecto Fluro.

Good times and then wasn’t going out so much in 94/95 until the Heavenly Social came along

3 Likes

Does anyone remember the Deptford Urban Free Festival 1993? Banco de Gaia, Orbital, who else? That was a wicked day! :pill::boom:

2 Likes

Very similar but in Leeds. Second year at uni, not a care in the world, Back II Basics, the Warehouse, trips to the Hacienda and Renaissance. Acid Jazz gateway into history of soul, jazz and funk. Wish I could go back and relive it all!

5 Likes

Not sure if it was that one. I’m sure I did do a Deptford festival but surely would have remembered if orbital were there. Hazy days

1 Like

20 years old and DJing a LOT in portland oregon. spending all the money i made on records. constantly running out of fax paper. barely going to college. smoking an impressive amount of weed.

probably playing rhythm invention’s “ad infinitum” three times a night.

4 Likes

I was 21 and at Sir Henrys in Cork religiously every Saturday… House house and more house.

1 Like

Third year of Uni in Glasgow for me. I used to triangulate between Glas Vegas-London-Bournemouth.

Tunes - Banco de Gaia (Maya still makes the hairs stand), Soundclash Republic (whatever happened to…), Disco Evanelists, Sabres of Paradise, Meek, Skunk records (Rocky in Flying was always so nice and helpful), x-press2! Rising High and lots more.

Clubs - Arches, Subclub, House Nation (I think that was the name - Danny Rampling), Bass Clef (though may have been 92), Flying in the new forest, Milk Bar, a place in Bath that was under a bridge and had a corrugated roof), Good Times at Carnival (always), Cobden Men’s working club. Doved & Loved.

Fun !

3 Likes

I was 14 and starting to listen to late night radio playing music everyone thought I was weird for listening to.

4 Likes

University in Cardiff. Free parties in the South West/Notts/Derbyshire with DiY/Smokescreen/Lazy House and dipping into glam bollocks nights in Brum cos that’s what my mates and the nice girls went to.

3 Likes

Second year of Uni, first year living in a shared house with lads I was in halls with, real mixed bunch but pretty bonkers. No house heads, but I was still buying vinyl. Couple of the lads were into hardcore stuff and considered anything under 130bpm and slightly melodic for softies. They used to go to the big ravey raves not my scene. Proudly used to sport my Boys Own, Fying Records, 051 Club t-shirts. Chipie, Chevignon and Duffer (when the student loan dropped in the bank!)

One of my mates used to play sax and he introduced me to jazz, acid jazz etc which dovetailed nicely with the hip hop I was into. Welly Club on a Friday was a hoot, funk soul, hip hop and everything in between. A good year.

4 Likes

Oh yeah should also add generally failing to pull :see_no_evil: :rofl:

3 Likes

A classic night that just popped back - mixmaster Morris in Maryhill community centre. Not a usual club venue by any stretch of even the most stretched imagination! We’d never been there and wandered around wondering if we were in the right place. We knew we were on the right track when a guy was standing in the queue with a double mattress. What a night !

3 Likes