Where were yee in '93?

Was in Leeds at Up yer Ronson, Orbit and Back to Basics then moved down the M1 and it was Bounce/DiY parties, Smokescreen, the occasional London jaunt to the Gardening Club and the Misery and not enough nights back in Liverpool.

3 Likes

2nd year college at UW Platteville Wisconsin USA. Had just discovered psychedelics and raves. Favorite albums from 1993 were Excursions in Ambience, Orb live93, Artificial Intelligence, Plastikman - Sheet One, Manifestation - Axiom Collection II, Chapterhouse Retranslated by Global Communication– Blood Music: Pentamerous Metamorphosis, Orbital 2, California Dreaming (The Ultimate Cyberhippy Experience), My Life With The Thrill Kill Kult – 13 Above The Night, US3- Hand On the Torch

4 Likes

I thought it was a great time to pull :grin: and usually well above my weight.

2 Likes

Did you ever go to The Cooker? Great Friday night funk and soul night, probably the last club I went to regularly in Leeds before I moved to London in late 1994 (fairly bored of Basics by then).

3 Likes

Haha. Reminds me of stories from my friends late father.
Her house was the meet up/come down/party zone every weekend from 91-93 due to her parents liberal stance. Apart from one weekend a month when it was swinging night.
Her dad was a prolific swordsman and didn’t dabble in booze/lsd/puff like all his hippy mates preferring to entertain all the beautiful hippy chicks his mates were two monged to pull.
Lovely guy, proper twinkle in his eye who still had several girlfriends even when in a nursing home in his 90s. My mate has several half siblings as a result.

4 Likes

Fond memories of all the cheesers late ‘93. Staxx, Stakka Bo, Lisa B, All Boxed In, Doobie Brothers/Sure is Pure … Black Machine How Gee. a lot of snakebites and a lot of hormones

6 Likes

My first year of university I arrived in a Classic Records t-shirts after having no friends at all in high school into anything bar grunge, Metallica, etc. And immediately someone came up to me and said that they loved the label and asked if I went to a club called the Funktion that they had never heard of. Told them I had never been anywhere and got an invitation to go that weekend and hear this music that I was listening to with like-minded people in a converted hairdressers on a Friday night. Rest is history.

4 Likes

I was a naive, 14 years old, skateboarder. Got my first set of decks the year before. House, techno, electro, hip hop. Skateboarding and music was my life - hanging about with friends, skating, buying records and getting stoned.

7 Likes

Sounds alright

3 Likes

I was at my peak skating ability at 91-94,so always had the big hoodies, pants and trainers which suited the scene in Cork…you could wear what you want… Go to Dublin and it was a different story and vibe

3 Likes

Musically in 93 I was all about keeping up with the latest Rap releases, new albums coming through the post most weeks. great albums from De La, Onyx, LOTUG, LONS, The Coup, Wu, it was a great year for rap music. I was also really into digging and buying the original samples from my favourite rap tracks around this time, so lots of funk,soul,jazz also getting played.

I wasn’t listening to any House at the time, I stopped listening to House around mid 91 (I started listening/buying House again in 2008) so in 93 I was strictly Hip Hop but still went to House nights as there was often nothing else to do here in Plymouth, we didn’t have a regular Hip Hop night in 93.
We’d get tanked up and go to House nights with a bad attitude, not afraid to admit some of the behaviour of my friends and I back then does give me some embarrassments, luckily non of the old House Heads seem to have held this period against us and I have become good friend with a fair few of them over the year. By 94 we started to get regular hip hop nights so we could go and make twats of ourselves on our own scene :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I remember it but don’t think I ever went. Was it Everton from Hip who used to run it? I went to Dig quite a bit on Wednesdays which was similar vibe I think

1 Like

Staying on in Leicester after graduating; signing on, working as a labourer and in Bossa; Myrtle Rd rent was £12 a week; wearing Red Wings knock offs; Julius Caesar haircut; going out every week & weekend; x-press 2; Helicopter ‘on ya way’.

5 Likes

Salford University. Between first and second year. Smoking too much. Got mugged for my Berghaus. Going Hacienda almost every Friday (and by that point it wasn’t always very good). Started going to Cream in Liverpool summer '93 which was great, much better vibe. Went to Reading festival for the day just to see New Order. At home back in Southend went to some decent nights, Kingdom Come I think it was called, plus a cracking acid house revival night (revival, in 1993!!) at the old China Garden. Followed Southend United a fair bit, especially away- great side with Stan Collymore and then Ricky Otto. I can’t remember much about the music though. Grunge or bands like Suede were not my thing. Just remembered the Weller Wildwood album was good though. My main feeling in 93 was that things weren’t as good as they had been in 89 and 90. I was a sad nostalgist even then!

3 Likes

I was living between the UK and Sydney Australia, I had been hitting it hard since early '89 and I was a bit sick of bangin tunes and getting munted every weekend. Downbeat, early DnB, and jazz influenced (and jazz/soul) stuff entered the picture. Still went clubbing but to non house type night(felt like I needed a change in diet music wise). Also was pulling and generally being young and indestructible. Remember being able to drink right till dawn and still go to work.

5 Likes

I am sure there must have been a link between them.

1 Like

Yes I remember that, I’m sure Transglobal Underground played as well

2 Likes

Probably Senser also. I’m pretty sure I went to the one the year after (possibly 95 or 96, although I think by that point the name and location changed?) and they played

Turns out I’ve got the flyer/programme for the day, it wasn’t Transglobal Underground it was Loop Guru! Which I think is pretty much the same thing

5 Likes

Quality bit of ephemera! This would have been right up my Straße, had I been in the neighbourhood.

1 Like