Where are the good music review sites/blogs/online mags these days?

Obviously there is the main site attached to this forum, but it feels like there were a tonne of interesting wee blogs and online magazines in the past that seem to have just dried up in the last five years or so.

Could this be a thread to maybe share some of the good ones that are still active?

It’s interesting how the music blogs just dried up. I guess it’s just a hobby thing that people do at a specific stage in their life. Must be time consuming for little reward, other than DJ gigs perhaps.

3 Likes

Bring back Donna Slut! and Lovefingers daily freebies! I guess [Feel My] Bicep are too big now to blog anymore… A shame AOR Disco ended too. Some fantastic stuff on there.

outside of here, my go tos now tend to be Ban Ban Ton Ton and The Quietus. I enjoy the Ted Gioia and Shawn Renaldo newsletters as well.

3 Likes
10 Likes

Where are they all now… never did find out who was behind any of these. Was cool in the pool run by hugh herrera? I still have loads of their mp3s on my soon to be museum piece ipod.

RCDLBL
Simon Spacerock
Disco Delicious
Alllez Allez
20 Jazz Funk Greats
Cool in the Pool

6 Likes

Another 00s blog I remeber fondly, and still have a bunch of mp3s from, was Robots in Heat. No idea who was behind it. Similar vibe to lovefingers.

5 Likes

Allez Allez was a couple of guys who had lots of dj gigs around London I think. 20 JFG was a couple of guys in Brighton, I think.

Looks like 20JFG still going, sort of. http://www.20jazzfunkgreats.co.uk/wordpress/

3 Likes

This one’s paid but is pretty nice: https://firstfloor.substack.com/

1 Like

Loved Cool in the Pool - also Alain Finkielkrautrock - site is now down but can be viewed via archive.org.
A L A I N F I N K I E L K R A U T R O C K

3 Likes

After about 5 years of following, Bagging area still gets a daily read from me.

http://baggingarea.blogspot.com/

3 Likes

i miss so many of these, but i get it. they’re time consuming and they rarely get the reach or engagement you may need to wake up and create another post.

old fave: contain yr brain: https://containyrbrain.blogspot.com/

3 Likes

That is the thing. To keep it moving. It is a struggle sometimes. Saying that I just bought some new records and that made me want to actually review them as they got me all excited.

It’s like with mixes I think we got to a point of mix overkill though I still like the idea of doing the odd one or two : )

Also I always liked the idea of TP being this amazing database of long form interviews and mag scans. To that end next up is Andrew Hale from Sade interviewing Patrice Rushen. I love how they talk. It’s a good conversation. I’m going to try and fight the two minute read with some quality long form content.

17 Likes

I think the demise of blogs in large part coincided with the rise of social media. Same with forums. I’m really hard pushed to think of any reviews spaces beyond Banbantonton, even harder to find well written pieces that arent peppered with cliches. I dont recognise RA, its just all so earnest.

Some good print copy in Record Magazine, Love Injection, Faith and Paninaro but I dont think they have any real online content.

Hope someone can share any for us

2 Likes

Please do!!

3 Likes

Not exactly a blog but DJH is coming back. Think Bill/Frank are aiming for more in depth interviews etc so will be interesting to see what this new iteration looks like.

Also on the BB front his Patreon is good value for insight and tunes across the spectrum.

2 Likes

Wow. 20JFG and Cool In The Pool feel like a million years ago. Fond memories.

And remember Another Night On Earth ? Or Last Night On Earth? South African guy spent ages doing that.

8 Likes

don’t shy away from the two minute read, a lot of times that’s all i have!

a different era, for sure - but one thing i loved about the bumrocks/lovefingers sites were that they didn’t require any editorializing, just a track nearly every day. pop in, take a listen, enjoy it in it’s context and then be on your way to the next thing. great shit.

that’s not to say that i don’t love a deep dive or careful review, but i understand that takes time - and inspiration. and a stretch goes by without one or both and the viewership falls and down the hole we go.

1 Like

Kyle is a mensch - used to FB message with tune tips, it’s been a minute !!

1 Like
5 Likes

noncollective, was that a blog ? i don’t even remember

ploughing throug ig and bandcamp is tiring, i miss a central blog thing with a sidebar where you can find cool stuff, the new wave of diggers like Products | Perfect Lives Mail Order

1 Like