What you reading

I’m the opposite :grinning:

Divorce and 2 kids at university have seriously hampered my record buying. I don’t mind though as it’s made me much appreciative of the stuff I do get.

4 Likes

I’m going to have to recommend this to some North American friends who don’t get why some of us fucked off from the UK.

Similarly, the author gives some excellent perspectives that help those of us born and raised in Blighty understand some of the nuances that are easy to overlook when it comes to the US. Living north of the border, it’s a little harder to appreciate some of these: but her own lived experiences really do join the dots in a compelling and fascinating way. And I’ve not even mentioned the Russian/Soviet angle… nor her own experiences being an outsider in several “establishment” environments, even when some of them claimed to be trying to be more inclusive…

3 Likes

6 Likes

Cheers, it’s been on my list for a while this one - thanks for the heads up. I remember seeing her interviewed or speaking in the past before I knew about her thinking that’s a strange accent for someone so high up in the US Govt.

2 Likes

Great read, that is.

1 Like

That looks like Jazz drummer Jeff Ballard

2 Likes
8 Likes

ha, came here to post the same thing. it’s a shame there isn’t an actual financial settlement - sherman/cain absolutely owe a lot of people a load of money, but i guess that ship has sailed.

1 Like
1 Like

Currently sorting through my books before packing. I have a decent Psychedelic section of around 100 books including old curios and oddities like these.

8 Likes

I think I had that one on the left!

I love that book, well it’s more of a pamphlet. It says so much about 1970’s Britain compared to the US. Very dry and un-cosmic :joy:

You really feel the grey and drab Tuesday afternoons spent in the local golf course through the pages.

I kinda like it’s no thrills aesthetic.

3 Likes

Love a one-star review

6 Likes

Peter Bradshaw is such a great reviewer, used to buy the Guardian regularly on a Friday just to read his film reviews.
Remember one of his 1 star reviews for one of Guy Ritchie’s turds being particularly hilarious.

1 Like

This review is quire sharp too :rofl: The trailer is beyond cringe

1 Like

Can’t wait to see it… Its Irish premier was last night and even the news reader was pissing himself after the few minutes they showed of it and Michael on the red carpet…

1 Like

Once Upon A Time In Shaolin by Cyrus Bozorgmehr

The story of the infamous album bought by the pharma bro for his, and only his, ears only.

2 Likes

Finally getting around to reading Barbarian Days : A Surfing Life which has been sitting on my shelf for a year or so. What a laid back, well written and pleasant read so far.

7 Likes