What you reading

Absolutely! Bill on fine form… a classic, you might say.

1 Like

Merlin was a student at my department here in Cambridge, amazing how the book has taken off, although all the academics here rate it highly. I’ve not read it, but it’s supposed to be fantastic. He was a good student. His brother is interesting too, makes pretty good music, popular on youtube:

2 Likes

Interesting family alround. I loved the book, opens up the world you think you know! and makes you realise we still have alot to learn and discover, some of which has the potential to help humans and Earth. I look forward to reading future books from Merlin.

2 Likes

Anthony Bourdain Kitchen Confidential at last

6 Likes

I loved the Anthony Bourdain: Parts Unknown series, I watched them all in first lock down.

1 Like

im missing the guy being on the planet musiclife

Tim Lawrence - Love saves the day

6 Likes

I’m reading Brian Eno’s diary ‘A Year with Swollen Appendices’ which recently got a new and fancy edition. I’m not even halfway but i like it, it’s easy to just pick up, read a few pages and put away again. It doesn’t require a lot of dedication, which is what i need right now.

4 Likes

Just finished Three Body Problem trilogy.

1 Like

Transcend: The New Science of Self-Actualization by Phd Scott Barry Kaufmann Gives a contemporay twist to the infamous hierarchy of needs model by Maslow.

A DJ gotta know da crowd

/Greetings!

This is highly recommended for anyone who’s interested in that era of British music

A mixture of social, cultural, musical and oral history, Join The Future reveals the untold stories of bleep’s Yorkshire pioneers and those that came in their wake, moving from electro all-dayers and dub soundsystem clashes of the mid-1980s to the birth of hardcore and jungle in London and the South East.

Along the way, you’ll find first-hand accounts of key clubs and raves, biographies of forgotten and overlooked production pioneers, stories of bleep outposts in Canada and the United States, and the inside story of the early years of one of electronic music’s most iconic labels, Warp Records.

Based on five years of research and hundreds of hours of new interviews, the book is a radical alternative history of the rise of British dance music during the late 80s and early 90s.

JTF

3 Likes

One of my favourite books. Have returned and re-read numerous times over the years.

Just finishing Billy Idol’s autobiography, not very highbrow or Balearic lol but a decent read, he’s lead a life that’s for sure.
Gonna start Questlove’s book after that.

1 Like

@Piers Not yet! I’ll have to look into that stuff for sure.

@Kippokid

You may already know… Scott Barry Kaufman hosts The Psychology Podcast?

1 Like

Yes, Love the podcast!

1 Like

Currently making my way through Trouble Boys, the hefty Replacements bio that came out a few years back, and I’m loving it.

1 Like

This

5 Likes

I think this is one of the best music books I’ve ever read. The way he weaves it all together is amazing. Love to see him do it in documentary form.

3 Likes

Just ordered. Interested to hear his take on it.

1 Like