What you reading

I’ve had a copy of Music, the Brain and Ecstasy by Robert Jourdain sitting by my bed for months now. It was recommended by Daniel Wang in a video I watched of his. The ecstasy mentioned in the title is the emotion not the commonly used recreational tablet of the same name. (-;

2 Likes

Currently reading Electric Eden - unearthing Britain’s visionary music by Rob Young (it’s hefty) and a couple of the school of life book recs from a friend. So I guess like folk therapy :thinking:

3 Likes

Just finished the final part of Stuart Cosgrove’s soul trilogy, Harlem '69 - has quite a few ‘I didn’t know that’ moments of artists you know & a lot that you don’t.

2 Likes

Hello everyone - I’m currently reading David Elliott “1984: British Pop’s Dividing Year”. Highly recommended. Very insightful and well researched.

1 Like

This one is quite the tome. I need to re-read it sometime soon.

1 Like

Beautiful one, this one.

1 Like

@Piers Watching David pivot over to music informed fiction has been lovely.

Been reading all of Haruki Murakami’s stuff in the order he wrote it. Finally got to 1Q84 which so far is phenomenal. Cheated one afternoon and read Yoko Ogawa’s “The Housekeeper and the Professor” which is a very sweet story.

4 Likes

@martynpepperell have you checked the Rough Trade Tarot publication? Pretty out there.

1 Like

One of my two favourite ever books about music (also Love Saves The Day) - amazing overviewed of the pastoral English tradition!

2 Likes

Shuggie Bain by Douglas Stewart is one of the best novels I’ve read in recent years…

2 Likes

Great book. I’ve stood on that Matthew Street manhole cover that crosses the interstellar leyline

2 Likes

‘Graham Hancock - Magicians Of The Gods’, the premise is how the author looks at the Ancient History viewpoint from another perspective which is usually not accepted in academia. It’s pretty out there, as is Graham, but it’s a good read and he tells a good story of how he gathers his evidence.

Also, just finished ‘Big Brother’ by Lionel Shriver. It was a good read on the perspective of what it is like to have someone live with you who is part of your family but your significant other cannot stand the intrusion of space. It was funny, fairly dark in parts too. This was the first book I have read by Lionel Shriver so I will be checking out a few more I think.

5 Likes

The War Of Art (Break through your blocks and win your inner creative battles) by Steven Pressfield is really great, recommended by friend Tom Mangan.

Reading this book has given me an invisible mentor and is a good reminder that showing up and putting the work in is the cornerstone of any creative endeavour. Put the hours in and don’t worry so much about the results essentially…

7 Likes

Mr Pikes - the memoirs of Tony Pike.
What a ride :wink::ok_hand:t2::joy:

4 Likes

total forgot about this, just ordered…

Entangled Life: How Fungi Make Our Worlds, Change Our Minds & Shape Our Futures is a 2020 nonfiction book on mycology by English biologist Merlin Sheldrake.

5 Likes

Thanks! I’ll add Love Saves the Day to my list.

Have you read ‘45’ also?

2 Likes

Not yet! Recommended?

1 Like