What you reading

3 Likes

Facebook just reminded me I read this on holiday a few years ago - a totally random pick that turned out to be amazing

2 Likes

I always pick up a random, second hand book to take on holiday. Ended up with some rubbish, but a lot of good stuff. And one life changing. Picked up an old book on physics in a book shop in Cornwall on a holiday and ended up studying mathematics off the back of it.

Similar to buying random records based on nothing more than a nice cover/title/etc.

7 Likes
1 Like

Unbelievable who is involved in all this. Its sure to all come out soon… :astonished: This was doing the rounds during the week

1 Like

I’ve been following the goings on with them for a few years now. Crazy!
We have similar families in Glasgow, but nothing close to Dublin. There’s a really good documentary on iPlayer about the Kinahan’s and boxing.

1 Like

It’s frightening the level of violence. So many life’s ended and ruined.

1 Like

Needed something meditative and this fit the bill quite nicely. Great nature writing and a perfect escape from all the BS.

4 Likes
4 Likes

Yet another wrong 'un whose stories have been doing the rounds for years

2 Likes

Really enjoying “Dreaming In Yellow”, good to read the history and about the anarcho punk roots. Brought back some nice memories, still kicking myself for not going to the NYE 92 party in Marshfield :confused:

2 Likes

More info on the pine walk collection. https://www.google.co.uk/url?q=https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2022/04/29/realestate/fire-island-pines-lost-soundtrack.html&sa=U&ved=2ahUKEwiI8fOjubr3AhVbQ0EAHSBjCKQQxfQBegQIBRAC&usg=AOvVaw3SLzeKMWs_wb2HmevG6cYt

5 Likes

Just came here to post this too, lovely write up

5 Likes

Just finished this, it’s the book that the film The Irishman was based on, i’m no expert on the Hoffa case but the story seems a plausible explanation for what really happened & shows how powerful the Mafia were in America back in the 60s/70s.
Getting rid of not only Hoffa but probably JFK as well.

1 Like
6 Likes

Available now! Secured my copied last night. I’m sure it’ll sell out fast.

6 Likes

I bloody loved my Amiga 500. Genuinely. Some of my best childhood memories were going down the Barras market in Glasgow to buy pirated Amiga games.

2 Likes

i am not a heavy reader. i have bad eyesight and i could make all kinds of excuses, but i’m just not. i used to be - up until about 20 years old i’d read everything and pored through all of the punk and boho classics, but after i got out of college i fell out of the habit. to my shame. i wish i wouldn’t have, but so frequently it’s easier to watch a game on tv (on mute, of course) while listening to records.

that said, i found this to be pretty fun, being that i am about judd apatow’s age and like the same sort of comedy he did, so bite size interviews with all kinds of folks made for a number of easily-digestible experiences.

i should also mention that in my defense, most of my reading over the last few years has been out loud, to my daughter. we’re currently loving the “bunnicula” series, which i grew up with. if you have kid’s literature recommendations, i’m here for you.

1 Like

Ha! Game on the TV on mute whilst playing records. Thought that was just me! There’s nothing better.

1 Like