What you going to?

Gonna be good to catch up mate x

1 Like

We’re going to the Paris gig few days later…
Let’s not forget this
https://youtu.be/G_UXvcr22rM

4 Likes

Pure belter as the Scot’s would say.

2 Likes

I went to see Soccer Mommy expecting it to be maudlin singer-songwriter fare and it was actually very loud, dreamy, and weird, like if Spacemen 3 or My Bloody Valentine had made a Portishead album

2 Likes

Saw her a few years ago. Very good and still so young…

I took the wife to see hot chip at brixton the other night. Apart from over & over I don’t know much of they’re stuff but enjoyed it. Some bangers. Good crowd.

In return she has agreed to come to Alfos at phonox in a couple of weeks time :slight_smile:
Also going to try and get tickets for Eddie chacon.

1 Like

Going Alfos at Phonox too, daytime/nighttime shift ideal for me right now…fancy Eddie Chacon gig too as it happens

1 Like

Thought Mrs Spider wouldn’t be keen as it’s quite far… she just messaged me to say let’s do this. Winner.

10 Likes

Great line up, great party. Really enjoyed it this year.

2 Likes

Be sure to say hello @spider I’m playing there

1 Like

Tomorrow night in Dublin looks good call

2 Likes

Sydney people - come on down! Our monthly bash tomorrow night

2 Likes

How is the night going for you?..

Really good - got a small crew of dedicated regulars and the event seems to increase in numbers each time. As it’s only an 80 person capacity venue, 40 punters fills out the place very nicely and the feedback has been great. Basically an older crowd thrilled to have somewhere relaxed and no fuss to go to each month.

3 Likes

Here’s a review I wrote of a recent event I attended - a live score to Andrew Dominik’s film Chopper, held Sat 27 August 2022 at The City Recital Hall, Sydney

"Hear My Eyes is a production company which has set out to engage both music and cinema lovers in a series of events marrying an all-new live score played alongside iconic films such as Eraserhead, No Country for Old Men, Two Hands and Suspiria.

The most recent pairing was a veritable perfect match, setting Andrew Dominik’s 2000 film Chopper, which won Eric Bana Best Actor and Dominik Best Director at that year’s AFI awards, with a quartet of seasoned musicians including the film’s original score composer, Mick Harvey.

Harvey, a prolific musician, composer, and member of Nick Cave projects The Bad Seeds and the groundbreaking Birthday Party, was joined on stage by Gareth Liddiard, guitarist and songwriter for The Drones and TFS, Jim White, drummer for much loved instrumental trio The Dirty Three, and renowned jazz pianist Chris Abrahams of The Necks. Together, they provided a sound that was taut and tingling, moody and menacing – scoring a controversial film whose original release the Victorian Police had urged the public to boycott.

The film itself focuses on bestselling author and career criminal, Mark Brandon ‘Chopper’ Read, depicted in a series of vignettes, and set over an undisclosed period throughout his lengthy incarceration and brief stint in the outside world. Film critic Roger Ebert describes the film’s portrayal of Read as ‘a man who seems to stand outside himself and watch what Chopper does’. A view that we as an audience are subconsciously undertaking – here is a man steeped in wrongdoing who, thanks to Eric Bana’s portrayal, ensures that you cannot take your eyes off him for the entire film.

Australians have long had a fascination with the criminal, the anti-hero. From Ned Kelly to Mad Max, our cinema is littered with nefarious subjects that show the seedier side of life; seemingly, we cannot get enough of it. This is the template laid out for the four musicians playing a live fusion of improvisational free jazz and experimental noise, each with an individual screen positioned before him, giving a visual cue point for each scene.

Chris Abrahams played some repeated motifs in a nod to Mick Harvey’s original soundtrack, not dissimilar to his work on the soundtrack to the equally dark 1998 Australian film, The Boys. Switching from piano to synthesizer, Abrahams is no stranger to improvisation, and it was his part in the production that gave the sound its most haunting timbre.

Gareth Liddiard sat with his modified red Fender Jaguar, a notepad covered in hand-scrawled ideas and cues. He utilised his instrument at times as a percussive device, hitting and tapping the body and strangling the neck to emit tension and squalling staccato mechanics not usually associated with six stringed instruments. It was Liddiard who would play at times during scenes with dialogue, providing a touch that was barely there, unnoticeable until he stopped playing. His role was one of creating tension.
The respect the musicians had for the dialogue was always evident; they would sit for long stretches of the film, becoming the audience as they watched, awaiting the next scene that demanded their input.
Mick Harvey switched between synthesizer and bass guitar, providing a bed and undertow for the others to work over. He settled for the ‘less is more’ approach, all the while silently conducting the mélange and maelstrom around him.

Witnessing Jim White as a drummer, switching between mallet, brush and stick can appear at times to be like watching a man who is working the kit in a random and undisciplined order, only to have every snap, roll, beat, and shine make perfect sense. It was White who worked the others up in the louder passages, colouring the darkness with explosions and white light flashes.

This session of Hear My Eyes was a truly remarkable opportunity to revisit not only one of the most arresting films ever produced in Australia, but to enjoy it refashioned for the senses by four of the best musicians to have emerged from Australia’s underground underbelly. I look forward to what the CRH team have in store for their next season of Sound and Vision."

1 Like

Just got out of this and I have to say, I can think of worse things to be doing on a wet, windy, Wednesday afternoon, than finding a rave and partying in a warehouse, albeit virtually!

On until the 15th Oct if anyone fancies it.

Got tickets for that though the wing-mates are dropping like flies!

1 Like

Hi London people, we’re doing a party at The Standard Hotel (Kings Cross) on Saturday 22nd October with a live set from Mogwaa plus support from 404 Eros + ourselves (Good Block).

Mogwaa is from South Korea and has a growing catalogue of music released over the past few years on labels such as; Bless You, Planet Trip, Klasse Wrecks and more.

‘Sweeties’ is on the 10th floor of the hotel and has an amazing sound system and huge discoball … a very nice vibe up there :slight_smile:

It’s free entry but you need to RSVP to gain entry.
Holla with names to [email protected] and we’ll add you to the guestlist.

Cheers!

8 Likes

https://ra.co/events/1597866

Have got the Scram crew coming up to Northampton for us next month

If anyone is on the island this weekend, Phat Phil Cooper and myself are spinning all day 10am-5pm at Word of Mouth in Sta. Eulalia.

Then Tuesday it’s a Leo Sayer at Pikes with the crew

And then on Wed 12th its a right old carry on as we take over Word of Mouth for a Bocadillo Juniors session 2pm-11pm (note to self - must not miss flight home that night).

Come and join us if you can.

8 Likes