What Kind of Headphones Do You Use for DJing?

so the covering on the outer foam on my main set of cans has deteriorated and now i’m left with the soft fabric underneath. and you know what? i prefer them this way, they aren’t so sticky on my sweaty neck.

getting them to this point was work though, and there were a few gigs where the black coating stuck to my face and neck, which wasn’t the best look for a middle age man trying to appear somewhat cool.

3 Likes

I like that foam too, actually, but it sort of sucks to isolate the sound in a club environment…

1 Like

On a (non DJ) headphone related topic, I picked up a pair of Sony WH-1000XM4’s about 3 months ago, my first foray into noise cancelling headphones and they are amazing. I used them on a trip back to England and it was the most stress free travel I’ve done - no bus/airport/plane engine noise, I sailed through the trip in an ambient music wonderland, and was a lot fresher arriving in the UK than I’ve ever been, they really make the whole travel experience a lot more pleasant. I grabbed a pair as Sony bought the new model out (which doesn’t seem to be a whole lot different and physically maybe worse!) so you can actually snag a relative “bargain” at the moment- https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-WH-1000XM4-Cancelling-Wireless-Headphones-Black/dp/B08C7KG5LP

I use those as well. Charge quickly, work great, app on the phone Is great as well to control levels etc. very comfortable. I also have a pair of Seinnheisser Momentum 3’s that I was gifted but have never really used.

Sony MDR 7506 with a velour cup upgrade
Total comfort at home and #indaclub

However the recent onset of quite loud and permanent tinnitus has made me consider whether I use them at all… (I feel a thread coming on).

3 Likes

Definitely with you on the velour!
These fit the 7506 if anyone else is interested in this upgrade:

You’re right about the comfort levels! I sometimes struggle a bit with my big head but these are a joy to wear for long periods.

30% off AIAIAI currently

2 Likes

Any recommendations for a decent set of low/mid price DJ headphones, around the £100 mark? Ideally ones that will work for someone with a small head too! Ha…

Am just starting out and looking for something suitable as an initial pair. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

These are good ~ Sennheiser HD25 Light - Perfect Circuit

5 Likes

100 quid

HD 25’s all the way

:+1:t3:

Reckon everyone had a pair of them at some stage

3 Likes

I use these. I like to pretend i’m flying a Huey as well as playing records. A neck pillow is essential though for long sets.

5 Likes

Do they go bad in the connectors like the big brothers? I’m seriously considering switching to these 3 years later after the original topic. The AIAIAIs are pissing me off. Luckily I don’t have any gigs…

1 Like

They’re rock solid. The ears slowly wear off but that takes years. Good for studio too.

Just bought a new pair of top line HD25. They seem to have much better sound quality than the old pair. If the basic version (I do have some very old ex Concorde ones) uses the same driver then you are getting a great deal.

1 Like

These are equally as good for entry level DJ headphones for around the hundred pound mark.

2 Likes

I’ve had the same HD25s for about 7 years now. I’ve never had connector issues, but I did upgrade the main cable to a long curly aftermarket job. I’m pretty careful with them, but they still do get tossed around in the gig bag/used at beach raves/taken on my bike a lot. I try to be that jerk that never lends them to other DJs (besides close friends) at gigs or afters though so maybe that’s helped? I know other people do have problems with the connectors though.

1 Like

I recommend the hd300 pro, the next version on from hd280. i like them, basically hd25 but over ear rather than on ear, with less bass too, but really good isolation and no connector issues.

1 Like

Still rocking the HD-25s. Never had any issues

3 Likes

Is there a DIY fix for the connector issue (HD25)? got an old old pair hanging up, nowt wrong with them apart from that.