What don't you get

Was on a very bouncy number 73 bus when i typed it. Had visions of predictive text kicking in and “Riccardo Villalobos” going horribly wrong, so left it at “RV.” Didn’t realise that it could be confused with “Harvey”, apologies if it caused confusion.

1 Like

Well it made me click the event link you posted, which had me giggling at yet another parade of photogenic DJs I’ve never heard of. :wink:

Pretty sure RV was used a lot on the old Faith board where they did like a good acronym or silly name (Homefries always made me laugh).

3 Likes

I am in no way, shape, or form, surprised to see James Hype on that list … awful!

2 Likes

and his missus, Tita Lau.

1 Like

He used RV as a producer credit on some of the Black Cock releases.

2 Likes

Agreed. They’re complete bollocks.

Any video titled “X reacts to Y” should be avoided

2 Likes

‘So Mr Hype what first attracted you to MBS and his little festival’

3 Likes

There’s a hole in daddy’s arm where all the money goes…

2 Likes

This isn’t exactly something I don’t get but I figured this was a good thread to ask it in…

When did the phrase “issit?” in place of “did you” or “are you” appear in UK vernacular?

an example
person one: “I used to sing professionally”
person two: “Oh, is it?”

Being from Australia, I’ve only really noticed it over the past few years via UK tv shows. I suspect it was a term snatched from black culture dialect and filtered through to the mainstream. Please enlighten me!

Roadman / urban culture.

See also “Did I aks you?”

Catherine Tate and Peter Seranifowicz had a go…

3 Likes

“Is it” was common in South Africa when I lived there in 1999/2000. It seems to have seeped in gradually over here

2 Likes

a good friend of mine from the valleys of Wales has used that expression for as long as I’ve known her. the meaning is usually in the tone, varying from “oh really, tell me more” to “whateverrrr”

she is neither roadman nor urban, fam…

4 Likes

Yeah i think i probably heard it as a Welsh thing first but was probably the roadman dem that sent it mainstream

2 Likes

It comes from the Afrikaans “is dit so?” which got abbreviated to “is it?”.

6 Likes

I think the most fun I ever had at work was trying to teach English slang to a class of Spanish accountants in 2000, who immediately clocked you as someone who had done zero prep. I think they expected (and deserved) better than some bleary eyed misfit trying to explain the versatility of words like ‘get’ and ‘fuck’

4 Likes

Funny. My short lived stint as a TEFL teacher in Brighton (total blag, no TEFL experience) revolved around teaching rhyming slang. I was relegated to being an assistant taking the kids on day trips fairly quickly……

7 Likes

Good to know, thanks!

Also, as you know from living there, the tone and intonation it’s said in can have a hundred meanings from shock to sarcasm and all points in between.

2 Likes

Today I don’t get people’s opposition to capital punishment…

3 Likes

Trust fund wankers

6 Likes