What don't you get

I’ve still got a soft spot for Kariya/Let Me Love You For Tonight.

7 Likes

Big fun is great, such a solid tune that I can hear again and again.

3 Likes

If you want to hear a DJ bang out the odd classic but still leave you energised Tony 586 is very good at that sort of thing. He played my friend’s party in Brixton around 2007 and there were barely 40 people in the pub but it was a killer set of stuff you knew but weren’t sick of - eg lil louis ‘y u fall’, paul rutherford ‘get real’, annette ‘dream 17’ all expertly mixed

8 Likes

Thats right, ‘how’ classics are played makes all the difference.
I once heard Morales - the master of dropping a cheesy record - play Kylie Can’t Get You Out Of My Head on the Space terrace a year or 2 after it had been a worldwide #1, so the absolute last thing anyone wanted to hear.
But it was so skilfuly dropped that the place erupted, the bar staff stopped serving and were on the bar dancing, total mayhem.
Its a real skill only attained by the very best DJs imo.

9 Likes

I can do without the vocal refrain which gets a bit much, but it’s such a simple track that really works and the organ chords are to die for IMO

1 Like

I walked into a record shop and a mate behind the counter just said Weatherall or Peterson? Without even a beat it was Peterson for me. Although I hate all those binary choice type questions, I’m plus one on your comment. He has been the most influential person on my taste in music since about '95.

4 Likes

Still love…

Frankie Knuckles - Your Love
Jamie Principle - Baby Wants To Ride
UR - Galaxy2Galaxy (Hi Tech Jazz) / Jupiter Jazz
Reese & Santonio - Truth of Self Evidence
Mr Fingers. - Can You Feel It (non vocal)
Fast Eddie - Acid Thunder
Risqué III - Essence of a Dream

10 Likes

Oh dear.

1 Like

Taylor Swift

5 Likes

Fing awful. They did that in Glasgow when I saw them, I was like “Oh Daaaaad…”

:grimacing:

1 Like

Isn’t it just?!

“An incredible Spice Girls sample”. There’s an oxymoron if ever there was one. I don’t think so pal.

What on earth were they thinking?

2 Likes

In the vein of their Belinda Carlisle thing?

3 Likes

did anyone else used to get the orb and orbital mixed up when they were a naive teen? (see also: adam f and adam freeland, manic and manix, the source and the source experience, DJ Pierre (US) v DJ Pierre (IT)… amongst others)

4 Likes

Not forgetting Lil’ Louis Vega

3 Likes

Lil Louis (French Kiss)
Luis “Louis Louis” Vega (did some stuff with 45 King in the late 80s)
Lil Louis Vega (MAW)

Hella confusing

Then this guy popped up with a minor MTV hit

https://www.discogs.com/artist/254066-Louie-Louie-2

2 Likes

Don’t forget Lou Bega

I love that this guy went to a RBMA talk for who he believed was the guy who made Mambo No.5.

2 Likes

I think Where Love Lives is a sonically amazing record. The production levels are sublime. It’s not only a house classic but a pretty perfect pop record imo. Granted I’m im no rush to hear it again but whenever I do I always appreciate it’s quality

Sterlin Void always left me cold

Gypsy Women reminds me of school and I knew then it was not top shelf

Can You Feel It is still amazing. Recorded on an 8 track with just a Juno and 808, proving you really dont need anything else. The blue print for deep house, everything since is in its shadow

Promised Land has become a bit twee but I’d love to have experienced that first time around hopped up on doves

Nightwriters is just gold - possibly Frankie’s best work

The DK mix of Strings of Life has been my get out of jail record for bar sets / parties / teds for years but its rightly been retired now

11 Likes

Always about Runaway Girl (Pimp Dub) for me. So much more energy than It’s Alright.

I know I might cop some hate for these two, but Phase II Reachin and Alyus Follow Me are total cringe!

1 Like

it always used to guarantee a cheer but not sure I could handle ‘strings of life’ now. Blame overkill or the Shapeshifters (or both…) Maybe if someone creatively reimagined the main riff and did something interesting with it I might give it a go. pacific state in embryonic form leaves me a bit cold now too. see also voodoo ray (much as I loved the hardfloor mix)

but then you have stuff like paperclip people throw or latour blue which i never tire of - maybe it’s related to subtlety or some extra ingredient? or maybe it is just simply less exposure?

I find it fascinating why some records endure and others don’t - and what earns something classic status

2 Likes

We’re going to a 50th this Saturday and he wants all the classics played.

2 Likes