What don't you get

shots fired that’s a strong one :astonished:

1 Like

mmmm, i know, i actually went to delete it!:joy: The thing is, both my brothers, one two years older, one two years younger were very into them. It’s not like i can’t listen to them, i’ve got quite a few of their records in my collection one way or another but I’d never think ‘oh let’s put a new order record on’. They just don’t really do it for me. An honest admission​:grinning:. i could edit the original post to ‘Ed Sheeran’ :joy:

4 Likes

Couldn’t agree more.

@LazySimon no need for justification here. the more sacred the cow the better.

4 Likes

Oh right, like DJ Harvey say? :wink:

6 Likes

I don’t get Gang Starr. Bought their comp and trying to get them to no avail.

Things I do not get:

• the incessant need to keep cutting bass in house sets
  • overly nostalgic ravers/club nights that play the music that they used to hear all of the time when the promoters/ravers were in their peak, I get it but there is a lot of good new music to hear too !
  • DJ’s saying I am a vinyl purist as a badge of bravery, good for you but music is music is it not ?
  • coke heads on a monumental coke session at a club night/beer heads on a monumental beer session at a club night
7 Likes

Here goes…Northern Soul

I mean, I get it from a clubbing history, dancing all night, drugs, fashion perspective…just a lot of the music annoys the arse off me

Sorry!

13 Likes

@Sparkomatic yup, with a few notable exceptions I pretty much agree. Find the culture fascinating but the music leaves me cold. Modern soul I’m okay with though.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s the basslines……

Agreed on the Modern Soul and infact any other soul R&B, Memphis, Street Soul, Technosoul, Neo Soul etc

Constant tweaking of EQ on every track during a set. Most tracks I buy and choose to play are usually mixed pretty well. So well, in fact, that I don’t think I can improve it a great deal. If I was trying to play a poorly produced demo, I can imagine needing to fix it. But I’ve never played a Francois K or Shep Pettibone track and thought ooh, it’s not quite right, I really need to cut 1db of mid range here and boost 2db of high end, and then adjust it repeatedly every couple of bars, really fast.

I don’t have a problem with Joe Claussel doing it though, he’s doing it in a creative way, he’s not tweaking a decibel here or there.

14 Likes

There are probably 50 really good Northern Soul records, the rest are exactly the reason they never made it in the first place IMHO

4 Likes

Britpop, specifically Oasis. Got rowdy with some 20 years-younger-than-me types once and at the end of the night they were all singing along to some Oasis like it was the most life affirming moment in their lives.

I got my anorak and left feeling bewildered.

9 Likes

My mother-in-law once delivered the line, in a thick Mancunian accent and apropos nothing in particular “that Paul Mccartney, he’s a waste of space”, which has gone down in our family history and always makes us chuckle.
Maybe a bit harsh but in many ways i probably agree😂

3 Likes

Daft Punk’s “Discovery” - four good songs and the rest is just naff chintz, which I guess is the point but is very much not for me when there are hundreds of really good French house records out there.

David Bowie, in general. The disco stuff sounds like someone trying too hard to chase a trend, the other stuff is really boring and I don’t find him convincing as an auteur like he wanted to be seen as.

Queen. Just everything I don’t like about music, but unavoidable in a way that things like Ed Sheeran or Lewis Capaldi that don’t impact my life.

2 Likes

‘Organic House’ is created by old djs who watched Stranger Things. And they gave a so called cool name but its obviously Italo Disco.

1 Like

Im not gonna say anything negative about music but how they could dance so energeticly with that sound. Its not understandable for me.

1 Like

Don’t get me started on Northern Soul collectors, I need to stay awake for work and the thought of them jus…Zzzzzzzzzzz.

what just happened? Oh yeah, somebody must have mentioned Northern Soul.

Take your $3,500 7" single and post it up on newsgroups for all the cardigans to see and envy, all the while, you still live with your mum cos you spunked all your cash up the wall buying records that sound exactly the same. hahaha…zzzzzzzzzz

BTW - it’s all about the slow Northern burning b-sides these days innit

6 Likes

I with you on Massive Attack.
They played here a few years back and when people asked me “are you coming to the Massive Attack gig” and I told them “nah, Im not really into them” they had a look of disbelief on their faces. I do love a few of their tracks, but only a few.

2 Likes

Whenever people take cheap/contrarian potshots at McCartney, I bristle a bit because he was my gateway into music from about the age of 4. In my world, he opened the doors to everything else that followed. All far better articulated by Iain Leslie in this beautiful piece a couple of months back 64 Reasons To Celebrate Paul McCartney - The Ruffian

as for stuff I don’t get, would be daft naming anything the kids are into as none of that is aimed at us… the stuff I could never get into in the 90s was the terrible production line house that filled the charts (rhythm masters and all that high street shite)

in terms of ‘legends’, was never massively into Prince, or Bowie (beyond the Berlin period)

3 Likes