What don't you get

I watched this a few weeks ago which I thought was incredible. Dick Cavett, David Crosby, Grace Slick, trippy oil effects and even some commercials that are definitely ‘from a different era’. :joy:
Far out man!

https://youtu.be/Rzq8LZKdilQ

7 Likes

Mind you, I don’t think i could get away with the restaurant around the corner from my hotel in Newcastle.

Headway! I do miss the Rooms even though the acoustics were woeful

1 Like

I got invited there by some pals about 15 years ago (via a few hours on a Megabus from Glasgow, with nothing but a backpack, a flask of Buckfast and a frayed nervous system). Silicone Soul playing IIRC although the real fun was in the outdoors bit. Afters were fun too. It was there that the immortal word swedger entered my vernacular for the first time.

3 Likes

Haha yes! :laughing:

1 Like

An after party tipple back in the day was Buckstasy. Buckfast with a swedger popped in the bottle.

4 Likes

From this day forth, I shall be changing the lyrics to Energy Flash to this

4 Likes

Breakfast of champions

2 Likes

The Glasgow - London mega bus drink of choice :joy:

3 Likes

Often thought if i needed to get to Scotland for free i could just get a few miles down the road to Buckfastleigh and stand outside the abbey thumbing a lift from any of the departing lorries.

1 Like

Made by Monks drunk by punks!

2 Likes

I’ve got stomach cramps just thinking about this.

1 Like

A young man’s game :joy:

1 Like

I’m sure I remember ‘Bucky’ being featured on Nationwide years ago. Hugh Scully or similar fretting about the youth.
Never tried it myself, we were on Thunderbird. Now, was it red or blue? :joy:

2 Likes

the link above might be a very americanish take on everything and for that reason, maybe most of the folks on here will ALSO find it sort of appropriate for the “what don’t you get” thread.

short version of the article: “what was underground and sacred to me has now been co-opted and commercialized and it reminds me of this other thing”.

cameron’s reaction: “dude, don’t even bother rage raging at the dying of the light”.

one of the great things about being around for this long (also see: the “how old are you” thread) is that the cycles become more apparent, but you also realize that the lenses directed at what you’re into hardly matter at all anymore. when the whole EDM thing started to really break in the US i realized i couldn’t care less - i’d be happy to be an elder statesman with my how it used to be stories but frankly the kids weren’t asking and that was just fine too. i didn’t like the EDM music, and the only thing it had to do with me was - loud (mostly) computer music, lights, drugs and dancing. the presence of big ol’ EDM festivals didn’t harm the records or artists or scenes that i liked.

there was a period - well, a turning point really - where i stopped telling anyone that i was a DJ or a record collector or anything like that, just because i didn’t want to explain how my thing was different from a thing that everyone thought they understood or saw on TV. plus, it didn’t matter anymore. i wasn’t chasing gigs or trying to up my profile, so who cares what i used to do? who cares that i love something that’s ill-defined in all kinds of ways? who cares that some of it might be wildly popular, and some of it my be pure and sacred and completely unspoken? it can be many things at once.

14 Likes

I just take the view now that everything I once took as given about club culture - and my own role in it - no longer exists and I guess that weirdly makes it easier to process the horror show that is Dance Music Inc. So now with the real people either out of the game or marginalized to the sides that in a way makes it easier to avoid all the nonsense. I wrote on another thread about how I thought Reynaldo wrote from the right place but reached the wrong conclusions. Ultimately anyone still emotionally invested in all this just has to disappear completely, go offline and take to the hills. If that means 40 pals in a hut somewhere in Saskatchewan then so be it.

3 Likes

My preferred choice these days are doing/going to house parties tbh with the occasional night out in an actual club.

1 Like

15 Likes

Brilliant lol

1 Like