What don't you get

I agree, its been a sad situation to watch someone meltdown publically.

Surely 2 years at best?! :rofl:

2 Likes

Which two years were the glory days?

1 Like

Ha ha! Do you mean two days? Sounds about right :rofl:

Don’t people do drugs anymore? I can’t imagine the aroma of food wafting through the dance during a long weekend of madam.

1 Like

not to be that guy and I’m only mouthing off cos I notice a pattern, but for people who talk about house and technos roots in black music balearic boys are awfully quick to dismiss black british offshoots. Now I’m not saying you should like all forms of black British music or I don’t want to dictate what people are allowed to like but i think some people just need to let their indie skeletons out of the closet and not bring that 80s shame into the 21st C. :joy:

Like all things there’s some great UK garage, some mediocre uk garage, and some not so good.

If you haven’t, give dj perceptions show on vision radio a try. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised about the authenticity of the deeper cuts in staying faithful to the house legacy. Much more than frog house, which yes, is the bastard child of the boys own lot, which is why they were the first to dissociate from it.

Here’s a favourite:

9 Likes

meh. I think this is another case of old man yells at cloud. Back in my day we had real bin men, not like today, bin men who handled actual bins.

I have no time for jesus christ arm poses, but as weatherall once eloquently said, it’s a job, not a career. If you can make it easy for yourself, then who cares if a few trainspotters get offended cos you’re supposed to look like you’ve come out of the coalmines?

Personally I’m of the moodymann/dj stingray school of thinking. play behind a screen or put on a mask.

What would be great is to dj at home, and it get live broadcasted into the club, so you literally are dancing to no dj presence. I think that’d be fuckin excellent :smiley:

UKG is fucking great.

As an old man (and someone who went down to the Frog & Nightgown at its inception) I lean toward the more classic garage/UKG crossover sound. But listening to someone like Riz La Teef, who’s a hugely talented DJ, tear out the grimier end of the spectrum is a joy and an education.

4 Likes

Whats frog house? :man_shrugging:

1 Like

it was awful (the odd MJ Cole aside)

check it at 1:30

And people say breakbeat hardcore was cheesier than this! the mind boggles…

Having said that, embrace the cheese within reason is a healthy musical attitude to have imo.

1 Like

agreed, very talented dj.

1 Like

far be it from me to determine “the rules” but i’d like to propose that any dance track sampling weatherall interview dialogue gets an automatic demerit.

1 Like

This bloody weather!

Now, I’m aware that people in other countries have much more extreme weather, but this place just isn’t set up for this kind of carry on. It’s giving me Winter 2010 vibes right now.

mostly (but not exclusively) young white djs into astrology and other such quasi-fascist pseudo-science. Myth and religion is something that isn’t the purview of objectivity, but this horoscope derived stuff thinks it possesses a scientific veneer, which is insidious, especially when it’s all about vague generalisations written up by conservative marketting journalists. Seriously stop digging through crates for a weekend and read Adorno’s Stars Down to Earth.

A case of old man yells at stars? :joy::+1:

1 Like

hahaha, 100% but it’s one of those things that I employ as a cultural filter. as soon as a dj talks about astrological healing I’m immediately turned off. After all I only have limited time in my lifetime and my no nonsense north london cultural filters inevitably kick in. Maybe i’ve unfairly missed out on some music as a result but that is a sacrifice we all have to make, I think.

4 Likes

I know what you mean but I think we’d miss out on a whole load of stuff if we dismissed the music due to the musicians beliefs or interests. Rolf Harris for instance😂
But seriously, in the 90’s in brighton if you weren’t prepared to listen to people talking about aliens, 23, conspiracy theories and astrology you’d never talk to anyone!:joy:
Danny Mclewin clearly has a deep connection with astrology and it’s associated earthly connections and he’s introduced me to so much amazing music at the same time. I’d guess the two things are inextricably linked with him.
As an aside, in my first ‘proper’ job as a 17yr old there was this much older secretary who kept lending me books titled ‘ ‘Mercury in Retrograde in the Third House’ or similar. Every week a new one, I was totally confused why she was doing this and too afraid to turn them down or question why.
It was only years later when I went through my personal file in the office and found my application form. I’d expressed a keen interest in Astrology.
I had meant Astronomy. Aha! :joy:

7 Likes

https://twitter.com/Doddsyy97/status/1602077972420247553

Homophobic, laddy, football meathead goes to Fabric, sees a person in gold hotpants humping the floor to the music, films him, posts it to twitter saying “I will never go back to Fabric again”

I know clubland is in crisis, but these types of fucking imbeciles were always the people i hoped never to see as part of underground clubbing. I know that ship has long since passed though.

Also i noticed that people like The Black Madonna, Paul Woolford and other famous djs replied directly to the tweet, condemning it, but using the type of slightly performative, self promotional language that only really works with people who have the same opinion as you. So it was immediately just dismissed by all the Dominic Raab cosplaying banter lads as “left wing cancel culture wokeness” and completely ignored.

Fabric obviously banned the spanner, but the whole thing just felt like a sad culture war play.

People who were at clubs in the 88-92 period, was it like this back then?

8 Likes

I always thought the black madonna should have cancelled that project outright than renaming herself The Blessed Madonna. We all see you. At the end of the day she’s a white middle class person in America and can only speak from her vantage point, which is fair enough, but she tries to do a lot more than that, and it rings hollow. If she just played records and was fairly low key I think a lot more people who aren’t white would respect her (saying this as someone who isn’t white…)

6 Likes