What do your kids listen to?

haha I loved billy joel we didn’t start the fire when I was 9 too lolol

I load up lil miss 10’s usb stick every month, and she puts it on shuffle while she does art or whatever creative things, so far Beverly Glenn Copeland - Keyboard Fantasies, and Nature Boy Flacko - Ambitus of Beauty have both been absolutely hammered for the last year, she likes lots of ambient/gamey sounds when in creative mode, even though she doesn’t game that much, E2E4 gets playtime on the turntable, also violent femmes but no real other guitar-y stuff… yet

3 Likes

trunk records stuff (weird library sounds, funny instrumentals), music from the films they watch and usual children songs (they’re 4 & 6). i read somewhere, that it’s important for kids to hear jazz music at an eraly age to understand it later, everything should be fine with that

4 Likes

Just had a peep at my son’s latest Spotify playlist. He’s 14. I’ve made a point never to tell him what to listen to and he seems to have navigated his own way with above average results.

12 Likes

My 3 year old loves dancing and always makes a bee line for my synth and guitar when he comes into my studio room. Really hope he keeps his interest.

My fear is that kids now will grow up without being aware of the classics, from any genre really, because there’s so much other stuff available to them. We try and play all sorts of music in the house

4 Likes

This weekend my son had an epiphany and worked out that the Gorillaz have loads of guests and those people make music of their own, so a weekend of checking out De La Soul (he loved them), Grace Jones (he’s unsure), Roots Manuva (got a big thumbs up), Mos Def (hes unsure), Little Dragon (nope), and, worryingly, slowthai (big thumbs up, but I got told off for letting him listen to him).

It’s still amazing that you basically have access to everything in seconds, no running to your friend’s to make a tape or bootlegging from the radio anymore.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t worry about kids not knowing the classics, I’d be more bothered if they didn’t have the curiousity and thirst for music that was off the beaten path.

I doubt this is anyone’s kids here, but I do think there’s something really sad when you meet teenagers who’ve got more access to 99.9% of recorded music than you could have dreamed of 20-30 years ago, and their tastes run the gamut of Oasis to The Beatles.

9 Likes

On this topic, my kids aka Taco Cat and Waffle Dog are doing a show on Loose this afternoon at 2pm… I just figured… why not? Could go either way, and we will find out which.

7 Likes

11 year old - Billie Eilish and she told me her new favourite is a Japanese girl who has slight Amy Winehouse vibes. I will remember the name in about 6 months.

22 month old - Always dances to anything by Creedence Clearwater Revival especially their version of ‘Grapevine’, my favourite bit is when she sings ‘just about to loose bye bye’. Her mom sings her Amy Winehouse’s version of ‘No Greater Love’ so of course she loves that and I sing her ‘Ballad of the Pines’ by Jonathan Wilson often and she has the CD on her wall as was born to it. This stage will sadly fade and she will be listening to shit hop in 10 years no doubt but I am going to try my best to make her take over my Dream Drums show one day. I tried with my 11 year old for many years but she calls house ‘donkey music’? Perhaps if our move to Ibiza comes off it is more likely with my youngest. She dances all the time, was star of the show many times on our recent trip to Ibiza in the beach clubs and restaurants.

My 23 year old lad listens to a rapper called Dave. That’s all I have to say on that ha.

2 Likes

Donkey music! Love it. My own attempts at educating the 14yr old on house music haven’t been a huge success: he’s convinced that Barry Knuckles is the godfather of house!

3 Likes

Barry Knuckles :joy:

Sounds like a character in a Guy Ritchie film

2 Likes

Is he getting Frankie Knuckles mixed up with Barry Chuckle of The Chuckle Brothers? :grin:

I’ve got no idea where he got Barry instead of Frankie. Made me laugh though. My “House Appreciation” tutor style obvs needs some work.

1 Like

Youngest just home after a birthday party and a bit drunk. Listening to Daft Punk. Not a massive fan, but they are a pretty damn good gateway drug to better things.

2 Likes

My youngest really enjoyed that cartoon movie they did too

2 Likes

It’s Halloween and my two girls are going as Anna and Elsa and have been playing that song on loop for an hour. I’m trying to work out what my breaking point will be and I don’t think it’s far off.

2 Likes

Youngest and her mates found themselves in La Macarena in BCN last night , DJ Kanedo doing his thing. All loved it apparently.

1 Like

My daughter bought a North Face jacket off her friends sister, she was selling it to buy a ticket for Dave… I said who the hell is Dave… Not my first embarrassing Dad moment or my last…

2 Likes

DMB? i have family (related by marriage) who are “dave” enthusiasts. i don’t out-and-out hate dave matthews, but i have yet to find a compelling reason to give him any more time than i already have.

My Son introduced me to Dave on a car journey. I now like a bit of Dave, first thing my kids have give to me, other than penpineappleapplepen

3 Likes

No Dave the rapper not Dave Matthews Band…

1 Like