What classifies as a ‘chugger’?

Must admit, always regarded the term ‘chugger’ as description of 4 on the floor between around 100-112 bpm. But in the other thread, there’s quiet village, Land of Light etc. I always consider these as not chuggers. The sub 100bpm and overall vibe doesn’t scream ‘chugger’ to me, it’s something else entirely. What say ye?

3 Likes

For me, I think it comes down to the overall vibe of the track. You can have a chuggy 90 bpm track, as much as you can have a ‘chilled’ 100bpm-er.

For example, off the top of my head

5 Likes

For me it’s anything with a slower druggy driving groove, anything under 120 BPM I guess.

Doesn’t just have to be ALFOS type tunes, like I said on the other thread it’s a broad church from Cosmic Ítalo, Balearic, slo-mo Chi-Town grooves, early 90’s Balearic beats etc, etc

Even this …

https://youtu.be/PcrrP7CsXi4

9 Likes

Yeah I’d agree with this pretty much

1 Like

I agree totally, and I wouldn’t call quiet village driving for example. Downtempo blissed out audio nirvana more like.

1 Like

So there’s a legal concept known as the ‘elephant test’ which basically means you may not be able to fully describe something but you’ll sure as hell know it when you see it.

If you hear a tune and you can’t picture yourself at a party in a basement, killer system, smoke machine, red light, heads down and deep into it, then it’s probably not a chugger!

4 Likes
7 Likes

Something you still want to dance to with creaky knees

7 Likes

Love this version. It definitely chugs! Those early Revenge edits were brilliant.

2 Likes

Exactly. It was that happy coming together of baldelli, scandolearic, alfos juxtaposed with everyone getting older and slowing down. I never looked back.

4 Likes

Scandolearic, good one :sunglasses:

2 Likes

Night Flight is everything!!!

1 Like

Such a good record :blue_heart:

slo-mo chugger

https://youtu.be/RGoKtvlNOJo

4 Likes

But is it a chugger? @howler :rofl:

It’s extremely slow and it isn’t driving, in fact the opposite, it’s completely laid back and I couldn’t imagine dancing to it in any kind of venue. I could maybe imagine it being used to open a long ALFOS style set but that’s about it. A lovely record however.

3 Likes

This one still does it too

6th Borough Project - Just a Memory

2 Likes

All about perceptions, innit?

One man’s chug is another man’s chill. :wink:
See, for me, this definitely chugs from 7 mins onwards and I’ve danced many a time to it :smile:

What you’re describing as chug, I would describe as ‘grinders’ (100-110 bpm) and anything above 115, I start feeling faint, and above 120 I start getting nosebleeds :rofl:

3 Likes

That’ll teach me haha… slap on the wrists for not listening all the way through before commenting, I’m an impatient bugger, the tempo change makes all the difference

1 Like

lol yes was gonna say. A new term to my lexicon here. Potentially thread worthy…

Probably my favourite Revenge / OOFT / 6th Borough

If I wrote for RA Id say ‘amplifies the pathos of the original’

2 Likes