What are you watching?

Stumbled across that the other night too, enjoying v late nineties feel.

2 Likes

Outer Range S2 is out now. Some wacky TV.

3 Likes

Storyville: Praying for Armageddon.

Another Storyville must watch. The US will forever astonish and baffle me.

3 Likes

I didn’t know what to make of it at first but when you get into it it’s very well done.

1 Like

Love this. Just coming to the end of the first season.

1 Like

Just wrapped Late Night With The Devil. Terrific, short and sweet. Excellent commitment to the late 70’s aesthetic and vintage horror in general, films like this actively do not and have not been made in many, many years. Both from a writing and FX standpoint, this film shares cinematic DNA with the original Exorcist and the original Poltergeist. If you liked either of those growing up or just in general, this film is for you, 100%. Would make an easy triple feature, quite literally bridges the gap between the two aforementioned films in many ways.

9 Likes

Looks like they’ve nailed the whole aesthetic of those films. Even the poster is spot on. Can’t wait to see it!

4 Likes

It looks really good…

1 Like

I only lasted 45 minutes with Late Night with the Devil. I knew I was going to hate it when the first 5 minutes was 30 studio indents. Awful, awful movie.

Sasquatch Sunset was fun, and sad. Rewatched An Evening with Beverley Luff Linn. Spotted Dylan from Severence. Jim Hosking is a genius, also a huge fan of The Greasey Strangler. Also watched the directors cut of The Exorcist, damn, they ruined that.

2 Likes

I watched it a couple of weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I thought it looked amazing. My daughter then told me that the whole design of it was done by AI and has caused ructions among hollywood designers. I haven’t looked further into that but if true the AI nailed it.

1 Like

First I’ve heard of that.

If that is true, it’s immensely disappointing. I personally don’t like or buy into the machine learning/A.I nonsense, nor do I really support its use in creative endeavors.

It’s a great piece of work, like you’re saying, but it’s certainly diminished in my eyes if what you’re saying is true.

Edit: I looked into it. Evidently they used it on three of the interstitial pieces used in the film, nothing else beyond that. Still not great, but at least the film isn’t covered in it like I thought.

Just watched it. Really enjoyed it. A proper homage to those classic 70s supernatural horror films.

2 Likes

Glad to hear that!

Rishi getting wet in the rain whilst being drowned out by a very loud PA playing Labour’s 1997 election song. What a sad little man.

14 Likes

Genuinely amazing and very funny.

2 Likes

D:ream never sounded so good.

3 Likes

Does feel like '97 again. Somehow doubt the celebrations will last too long this time though…

1 Like

Fun Fact: D:Ream did a PA at my LCC freshers week club night at Heaven in 1992

4 Likes

they played my uni in 93 or 94. There were 3 tracks and they repeated them to pad out the gig haha

I really loved the Sure is Pure remix of “I Like It” - remember mentioning it to a startled Kelvin in the toilets at Aura in Ibiza many years later haha

2 Likes

Were one D:Ream living in Brighton in the 90s? Seem to remember one of them at our kitchen table very late into a night. But hey, recollections of that decade may vary.

I always used to love UR The Best Thing too. Sasha mix.

3 Likes