What are you watching?

they even teased it on the news the other night, can’t wait

Was going to say the same about True Detective, there’s something missing and cant put my finger on what it is. Shaper writing probably. I like the atmosphere of it and Jodie Foster is great but its a bit of a disappointment. There’s not much detecting going on and they are really leaning into the supernatural element, perhaps trying to re-capture the vibe of S1. Going to watch til the end though as its only 6 episodes

2 Likes

I’m in the same place as you all - I think it’s basically because it feels like I’ve seen it all before in Fargo, Mayor of Easttown, The Killing etc. countless times.

5 Likes

Started watching it last night. Fell asleep before end of the episode which is never a great sign!

1 Like

Half way through They call him mostly harmless… Never heard of Trail Angles before this… Lol America be crazy Yo!

Just watched this on Netflix, never heard of Bayard Rustin before, but what a guy, very brave, courageous and admirable and lived quite a life.

ghows-WL-6b60d065-337c-4504-af85-ec7be766a63f-e3525e0a

2 Likes

Started watching ‘One Day’ on Netflix last night. Impressed so far.

1 Like

Really digging S1 of Fargo. I love that they stayed true to the movie.

3 Likes

S1 is the best imo.

2 Likes

Fascinating & brave character. He’s been getting some more recognition lately as the Obamas produced a biopic on him for Netflix. It’s a biopic so your mileage may vary, but Colman Domingo is incredible. Chris Rock was ill-advisedly cast to play activist Roy Wilkins in the biggest fish-out-of-water celeb cameo since Brad Pitt in 12 Years a Slave.

3 Likes

Cheers, I generally prefer Docs to Biopics but i’ll check it out.

Wife and I binged the whole series over 2 nights - easy to watch and and excellent music direction eg
episode 1
Your Love (1987) - Frankie Knuckles
Good Life (1988) - Inner City
Theme From S-Express (1988) - S’Express
Love in a Car (1988) - The House of Love
Love and Affection (1976) - Joan Armatrading
Saturday Sun (1969) - Nick Drake
Rip It Up (1982) - Orange Juice
Temptation - New Order
These Days (1966) - Nico
Falling Colour - Vanbur
This is the Day (1983) - The The

full list of songs featured here

We binged it as well. Was a bubbling wreck towards the end. Great performances from the lead roles. Can see it picking up a few awards.

1 Like

Following Birmingham 81’s tip on Twitter I watched the Sly and Robbie Southbank show last night which I didn’t know existed. Great stuff and an unexpected vibe between the riddim twins and Melvyn Bragg!
SLY & ROBBIE - The South Bank Show (2016) (youtube.com)

4 Likes

available to watch on Kanopy

haven’t seen this yet but parking it here as it looks interesting
further reading on the topic here

My wife and I smashed through the first 7 episodes last night. Such a great watch and, as you say, a fantastic soundtrack.

3 Likes

The Shuttle That Fell To Earth. BBC / iPlayer

3 part doc about the USS Columbia disaster that took place 20 years ago. Really moving and thoughtful tribute.

3 Likes

True detective episode 5, great soundtrack but show is fading big time :pensive:

1 Like

Larry is practically a member of our family - 12th & final season just releasing - it’s fabulous

5 Likes