What are you watching?

There might have been a jump the shark moment on Happy Valley this week, it went a bit Line Of Duty there for a second! Willing to forgive it though, they have earned a bit of dramatic licence

2 Likes

I see Paul Mescal has got an Oscar nomination for Aftersun.

2 Likes

I’d love to see him win, but it’s too early in his career. I cried like a child.

Farrell or Fraser will probably bag it. Be great if he does get it though.

2 Likes

Watched Banshees of Inisherin finally. Great performances by all of the cast, bleak as fuck tho. Barry Keoghan and Kerry Condon are fantastic.

5 Likes

Isn’t it just an Irish Drunken Bakers from Viz? :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3 Likes

Haha it is a bit.

A Bollywood version of the The Field someone said… Lol

1 Like

Brilliant scene from Happy Valley.

“Me tea’s getting cold.”
“What is it?”
“Stew”
“It’ll be alright…”

TV scripted exchange of the year right there.

5 Likes

I dont know if its been mentioned, but Search Party on Iplayer is must watch. Its a missing persons mystery crossed with a dark comedic send-up of Brooklyn hipsters. I burned through two seasons in a few days due to having some time off work and there are 5 seasons to get through. Episodes are just half an hour too.

2 Likes

Maya Angelou on Robert Burns (BBC iPlayer)

I love Maya like a family member.

1 Like

I also watched The Menu on Disney plus - really enjoyed it. OTT and some nice unexpected turns.

Better Date Than Never - a series made by the Love On The Spectrum producers, again about people having to overcome obstacles in the search for love - gets me emotional every time.

Shiva Baby - wickedly funny comedy about a Jewish girl faced with her past demons, societal/cultural expectations and a run in with her sugar Daddy, all set at a Shiva, or Jewish wake.

Tim - we watched this one on a whim. Slightly saccharine film starring Mel Gibson in one of his first ever roles. Tim is a developmentally impaired laborer who is sent to work for an older lady played by Piper Laurie. the film centers on their burgeoning friendship and romantic relationship. I enjoyed it, as I love Australian cinema, but it’s not one I think many would find an amazing film.

Films I plan to watch this week are - Everything Everywhere All at Once, Banshees of Inisherin, Aftersun and Elvis

3 Likes

Just got round to this. Florence Pugh is so compelling. And the music was great (Matthew Herbert). +1 for the Wonder.

2 Likes

I’m the same, Banshees to do, Aftersun to do, Emily the Criminal to do also. (Aubrey Plaza to do… :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:)

3 Likes

Fucking hell - stumbled by chance on UK comedy Sally4Ever written by and starring Julia Davis. Haven’t laughed so hard in a long time. Outrageous is an understatement. There’s one episode in particular that was just off the rails - proper hurt myself laughing. Highly recommended.

5 Likes

I know exactly which episode!

The whole Stanley Kubrick thing made me piss myself too.

Julia Davis does narcissism too well imo lol.

4 Likes

Definitely digs deeper & got the big names in too. Power of the Beeb! A really compelling watch & makes me want to share with my kids from a social history PoV. (Also my youngest is really into west coast rap now after playing GTA)

12 Likes

Ooof… can’t bloody wait!

1 Like

I thought it was great. Kind of a look at black American history to a degree, and not just hip hop. Made me want to check out where modern hip hop is at but anything I’ve heard in the last 10-15 years sounds cold and flat and really over produced. The beats are so static, where has the funk and swing gone?

10 Likes

Just finished the first Traitors series (UK) - brilliant fun!

2 Likes