What are you watching?

Great TV. On par with the first series for sure.
Nice write up in the New Yorker: The Extreme Pleasures of the “White Lotus” Season 2 Finale | The New Yorker

2 Likes

yeah - i was chuckling when everybody was saying “the new season sucks” after episode one. Ye of little patience etc

5 Likes

Guilty :shushing_face: episode 5 got me hooked again and loved 6 and 7

No spoilers from me but I loved it. So good.

1 Like

Joining in the White Lotus love. Top tv. Final episode seemed like a real event which is a rare thing nowadays. It did not disappoint.

2 Likes

Just started watching. Two episodes in and am enjoying it so far.

Also Cabinet of Curiosities on Netflix. Some serious synth action on episode 7 which is just as bonkers as the rest of the episodes.

1 Like

we are two behind, been busy etc… can’t wait for the weekend!

1 Like

If you like post apocalypse TV, To The Lake (or Epidemya in it’s Russian name) is absolutely top notch. Both seasons are amazing. I think season 2 requires torrent downloading as it hasn’t had an international distribution, but if you’re open to that it’s worth it. Subtitles for season 2 re hard to find but not impossible. Don’t look past it.

1 Like

I know its been spoken about on these pages before but I have now finished all of Mad Men. While the finale didnt quite land for me and is arguably one season too long, its rightly regarded as an outstanding piece of television. Possibly a work of art, and undoubtedly one of the best character dramas ever.

3 Likes

Anyone got a link for Under The Volcano, before I go down the official channels?

Yup was great, cast were brilliant, Tom Hollander masterful as ever.

2 Likes

That 30 seconds when Daphne processed what Ethan said was some of the finest acting I think I have ever seen!

5 Likes

One for the Small Claims Court, but I was at a small bonfire night party with Tom Hollander. We all got utterly shitfaced and he insisted on being in charge of the fireworks. He later set his hair on fire.

11 Likes

Haha :fire::man_bald:t2: loved him since ‘the night manager’ might watch that again actually…

1 Like

Amsterdam on Dizzy+ is a hoot!

2 Likes

Almost finished Andor. Probably one of the best spin-offs in the Star Wars franchise for me. Yes, it’s monetising the shit out of it but they’re doing it well so far, especially in this case and for this SW nerd.

Also started watching Succession again. Even better the 2nd time around. Incredible writing and acting.

Fun fact, Brian Cox was at the same school as my Dad (in Dundee) Year above, according to him!

4 Likes

i just finished it the other night and was quite pleased. i’m not a full on SW nerd but i did grow up with it and i’ve watched most of the movies and quite a lot of the television (but never delved into the animated stuff or comic books) so i’m inclined to at least check out a little bit of whatever’s new. and andor is “new” in a way that SW hasn’t yet expansively explored.

the fact that it has no “magic” and very little fantasy is new and wonderful. i absolutely have force-fatigue and i’m tired of more and more aliens and humanoids and ambulatory stuffed animals, and andor does a good job of avoiding all of that, while still existing in a world where we know it’s supposed to co-exist. we can enjoy a long-form story without it being about a “chosen one” or the mastery of some cliched “magic” - it can be about relatable people on the side of good or bad or in between. evil doesn’t have to be an UNLIMITED POWER type of singular bad guy - bureaucracy is a much more believable form of evil. social stratification is a much more believable form of evil. hopelessness is a much more believable form of evil.

all told i think andor was much closer to a political thriller (with great “heist movie” moments to speed it along) than it was space opera or whatever george kept falling back on. the kind of thing that i’d recommend to people who don’t particularly care for “sci-fi” or “space fantasy” or that type of thing. looking forward to S2.

6 Likes

My top 5 tv shows of 2022:

White lotus 2
Andor
Ozark (final season)
Severance
Better call Saul (final season)

Honourable mentions to bad sisters and euphoria season 2.

Been a good year for TV.

9 Likes

As mentioned by someone else on this thread, I really enjoyed Panos Cosmatos’ segment of Cabinet of Curiosities. So I checked out Mandy last night.

HELL’S TEETH!

What a trip. Highly recommended.

3 Likes

Glass Onion on Netflix was great fun.

3 Likes