Were you there?

me and @J_C have got a ton of mixes from 1989 Outer Limits

1 Like

The link is showing fine, will defo have a listen to this

1 Like

Yep, a beautiful spot for sure. Did the trek up to the top as well, seem to remember that stirred up everything again that might have been consumed :wink:

Remember standing outside the DIY tent in the afternoon, looking down at the feds just stood there, nothing they could do

https://youtu.be/mEueqKDiDKU

Not only was I there but I put the damn thing on and proudly own the vinyl bootleg!

2 Likes

The Biz Markie show in London (that a bunch of Soulstrutters talked about on their big Biz stories thread) where Biz made the entire tent sing “Just A Friend” before he would start, then jumped on the decks and played a load of original b boy breaks, doing tricks with his face on the record. Did about ten minutes of beatboxing that left him so covered in sweat that he just sat on the edge of the stage looking like he was zoning out, then stood up and started his show.

@bellio and i were there, he might be able to go into more detail.

2 Likes

I was there , also 18, going to University in September . My life changed too. Went from listening to Big Black and the Revolting Cocks to dance music only.

2 Likes

Haha that’s pretty much how i remember it. That was essential festival 2001, someone I went with sent me a link to the flyer a while back. The lineup was pretty ridiculous. I spent my whole time in the hip hop tents and managed to miss Gil Scott Heron, Isaac Hayes and a bunch of other good stuff. I was just trying to find the flyer now and stumbled on this. Not listened to it, but it’s Biz appearing on the Westwood show that same weekend, and probably doing similar breaks and beatboxing segments. Only Built For zShare Links...: Biz Markie on the Radio 1 Rap Show (2001)

First time I ever got on one . We got in The Academy and realised BPM we’re filming that night. Spent all night making sure we stayed out of shot. Just found it on You Tube https://youtu.be/oAy8V7k0ySg

1 Like

A floor saving moment if there ever was one, and one of the best sets I’ve ever had the pleasure to witness live. Joakim came on after Ray Mang totally misread the floor and was a few tunes away from getting attacked up at the booth. This saved the night, and helped start the year off in a fantastic way.

I’ve never found it or seen it but the night Malcolm McLaren filmed a vogue/fashion show thing at The Mud Club in 88 or 89. Anyone?

https://youtu.be/7JKLKfLsxos

Funny one, this. Was definitely at Theo Parrish’s last night in Plastic People and this doesn’t sound like the recording of it. Even though it was released as 3cd mix.

1 Like

From the Discogs page:

This set have a lot of similarities with the set Theo Parrish played at Bird Rotterdam on 29-03-2013. Indeed I think that the set on this 3cd is the recorded set from that night at Bird.
First I thought it was strange that I only hear Dutch people talk in the background. But of course it is possible that Plastic People is visited bij Dutch people, especially since Theo Parrish has a lot of fans worldwide. But a look at a youtube video summarizing the evening at Bird (Theo Parrish @ BIRD, Rotterdam (29-03-2013)) make me think this is the set, because all the records he played on there, are on this 3cd and also the chanting and the yelling on this video are in line with the recording on this 3CD.

1 Like

This was absolutely crackers. They expected 10000 would attend, its estimated over 250,000 people descended on Leeds that weekend. The city was decimated for days, traffic was brought to a standstill, the train station resembled Dunkirk on Sunday. There were plans to do Love Parade in a different UK city every year. It never happened again

Shame this Sasha footage seems to be the only one that exists on YT. There was all sorts of carnage going on. Remember seeing Dave Beer stage dive off the Back to Basics float into the crowd.

There were after parties in clubs all over the city, but no one could get to them cos the taxis and buses were over run, queue thousands of people waking down from Roundhay Park to the city centre. If you were lucky enough to make it to town, forget trying to get into a club. Madness.

https://youtu.be/iZ7S-XTmrK0

6 Likes

Evert tune a winner :slightly_smiling_face:

Lil Louis at The Hacienda … amazing night.
LL at the Hac

Very hazy memories of this on account of party accompaniments.

Sasha at Warehouse

11 Likes

The best of times, the fondest of memories (what’s left of them!)

2 Likes

Used to love that period of his, mighty pianos and all those gated vocals and synth pads, perfect match for the ‘party accompaniments’.

2 Likes

Not sure anyone did it better around 1991/2 hence the ridiculous Mixmag Son of God nonsense :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Talking of Sasha, he got booked to play in the Highlands (Elgin) back in 92, for Jim Greaves’s Kick n’ Hard.

The story goes that Jim said to Sasha that he should play what he wanted as opposed to what the crowd would expect and cone for; hands in the air bizness.

As Sasha took to the decks the natives were getting restless, even shouting out “that’s not Sasha, Sasha’s black” and rushed the stage - and was met with an ashtray to the head. The show went on.

This is what he churned out. Perfect skills with a chuggy US bouncy leftfield inspired set; Jim on the intro.

Sasha @Kick

4 Likes

Check this Sasha mix I put on another thread: Sasha Down Under from 1992 in Sydney.

Basically the same set!

2 Likes