Watches (or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Antiquated Money Pit)

Not previously a chronograph guy but since starting to wear a Casio (World Timer, A500W) recently I’ve found myself timing heaps of stuff.

The lack of a date was one of the main turn-offs but since I now turn everything into a time trial I thought I’d torture myself by seeing what good-looking chronos out there have a date. The recent Hodinkee Heur collab looks great but sold out immediately and is beyond my pricerange anyway. The triple-calendar Speedmaster is too ridiculous (and also out of my pricerange).

Then I came across this De Ville from 1969/70: ref 146.017 (again, located beyond my fiscal capacity).

(not my photos, not my watch)

A while ago when I worked for the Swatch Group one of my roles was organising the vintage (or new and high-end) watches’ repair in Switzerland or Germany. Saw a lot of cool stuff but never came across this reference or cal. 930.

Omega clearly busy in the late 60s and not afraid to take a punt - rejigging the 861 then retooling to produce the 930 for what I think was only a couple of years. Same with the 920 in the Chronostop. Heady times in Bienne.

2 Likes
1 Like

the aforementioned Chronostop: the monopusher chronograph that lets you time anything you want as long as it takes less than a minute

1 Like

All Vianney Halter.

vh4

This is more my budget.

3 Likes

I’ve worn the same watch pretty much day in, day out for the past 25 years. Never let’s me down, apart from losing a couple of minutes every few months. A smaller, cheaper and, imho, a less brash version of its big brother

Picked up second-hand for relative pennies in 1996 its a 1992 model).

3 Likes

I bought this in 2015 before the availability went off a cliff. I doubt I’ll buy another watch again, still in love with it as much as I was on day one

2 Likes

My two, cheap Casio from Argos for surfing as I’m a tight arse and don’t want to overrun on the parking meter. 1968 5513 I got from Antiquarius in about 86 as a graduation present to myself, £200. Sadly can’t afford to even get it serviced these days, at about £800 for the ‘classic’ service from R. Lots of wabi sabi and love it to bits.

4 Likes

love it. do you follow @watchistry on instagram? has some cool Marine Nationale Tudor subs - snowflakes and lollipops. personally would prefer yours with a date though.

2 Likes

is this the ultimate combo? 9/10 leading experts say yes.

1 Like

I don’t. I’m not a massive watch head tbh, I just like what I like. Funnily enough @Gavin , I have the very same Casio somewhere which I bought for travelling around Cuba in 2012. I also used to have a Rolex Sub Date but got rid in 2003 as I found myself wearing the Tudor more as it suited my dainty wrists more…:rofl:

1 Like

I love and wear this every day. Could do with a service to be fair.

3 Likes

Can’t imagine spending money on another big watch, but would love one of the Giorgetto Giugiaro designed Seiko 7A28 6000 reissues they did:

1 Like

Got a Tudor BB58 last year and can’t fault it for a daily wearer. Was worried every man and his dog would be wearing them, but actually never come across another in the wild.

Would love one of the Hodinkee IWC ceramic jobs from a few years back but they’re fetching silly money now.

2 Likes

I’m surprised the BB58 isn’t everywhere (and the Pelagis before it) too. They keep making em so must be selling enough but maybe they’re all going to people who post on Instagram but don’t leave the house much?

1 Like

I’m late to the party but just recently came across anOrdain out of Scotland and blown away by the enamel dials. Overall design is nice (and the ETA 2824-2 is nothing to sneeze at) but far out the dials are incredible:

If you stared at these gradient (“fumé”) dials long enough I reckon you could find the secrets of the universe and/or lose your mind but even the straight one-colour dials they do look amazing.

Lucky I don’t have the available dough because choosing from the lineup would be difficult.

(photos jacked from Instagram)

1 Like

and now for something completely different:

yes i’m a designers republic dork and my mother-in-law gifted me with an etsy gift card so i thought “why not” and opted for the swatch GS106. swatches are great, i might start a collection.

5 Likes

After twelve years, finally pulled the trigger on a Nomos. My first “nice” watch. Orion 38 Grau (ref 383).

Difficult to capture (or even explain really) but there’s this cool fleck to grey that really comes alive in sunlight.

2 Likes

and this custom Casio A171 from Pura Customs off Instagram:

2 Likes