Visiting London

Visiting that there London next week, with fam (including 18y.o daughter) and wondered if you ‘soft southerners’ could advise where to go in a non-touristy (looking at tall buildings) kinda way.

As the kid can now officially drink some nice bars or things to check would be ace.

Any help gratefully appreciated.

I’m no expert on that big London mate as I live in the North West, but I do work out of my London office on a regular basis and I would recommend a walk along South Bank, start at the London Eye and head down towards Tower Bridge, its a really nice walk with some nice bars and restaurants, great views over the river and some fancy tall buildings en route :wink: (I’m sure the Londoners on here are better placed to advise though)

3 Likes

So much nicer than it was when I worked there in the 90s! Yes absolutely recommend this walk
Borough Market also good for food / vibes / looking at Mordor (the Shard)

1 Like

The Sky Garden Bar in the Walkie Talkie is worth a visit - you can check our all the other tall buildings in the City from the panoramic viewing platform.

3 Likes

She wants to go to Portobello Market at some point, she’s into vintage clothes etc.

Was hoping for some cool art installations and stuff like that, but thanks for the tip.

Definitely check out the Tate Modern if you are doing that walk on South Bank. And there’s usually some cool art installations/exhibitions at 180 Strand. LUX is on at the moment.

There’s a Banksy exhibition on in Covent Garden now which has got some nice pieces in it. If Banksy is your thing.

1 Like

There’s the KAWS installation in the Serpentine Gallery

1 Like

Wanted to go there but says tickets say it’s sold out.

Yeah - we saw the 180 Strand thing, that might be the one.

I’m far too cool to like Banksy now he’s gone mainstream, but I’ll ask aforementioned child if she fancies it.

Thanks for the tips People x

1 Like

the mithraeum below the bloomberg building is free and pretty cool imo. book ahead though… ticks the “tall buildings” box too!

2 Likes

If you head to southbank try and pop into spiritland underneath the royal festival hall.

https://spiritland.com/location/spiritland-royal-festival-hall/

Portobello also has two of the best record shops in London - rough trade and honest Jon’s if you need to escape the market!

2 Likes

Yeah breakfast in there is a good way to start the day.

2 Likes

They’ve got the flying jellyfish in the Tate modern at the mo. Pretty cool. You can go there, walk to Borough Market, over London Bridge and get the tube from bank to Notting hill.

Flying Jellyfish finished last Sunday ;(

Ah no. Thanks for clarifying. Was pretty cool.

1 Like

This might be worth a look …

1 Like

Yeah we did that a few years ago (not the bar) just the garden - brilliant views even if it was the murkiest day of the 3 we were there. Well worth it.

1 Like

I always find something to do at The Barbican. Not far from the Mithraeum if you are going East. Then, the bars of Shoreditch and Hoxton are not far away either.

1 Like

If you’re in Notting hill you could do the museum of brands. It’s small and fast but good nostalgia to it.

We’re staying in Shoreditch.

Talking of which - any tips on decent bars around there or is there a plenty?