The sound of now aka the sound of 1990: streetsoul

really enjoyed @martynpepperell’s interview with Tony Henry on the site today. Between him and the Toyin Agbetu one on RA from a few weeks ago, it feels like these guys are willing to be honest and blunt about problems within the music industry in a way others aren’t.

4 Likes

@boxedjoy They’re all stand up guys. Same with Robert Roper from TSR. No filter or pretense. Appreciate that.

1 Like

I just remembered this track which deserves a mention in this thread (dont think its been mentioned yet):

I remembered it whilst going though my Youtube channel (that Ive not updated in yonks) and remembered I had a play around with the instrumental of it:

2 Likes

Familiar vibe! Soul Connection - connections :slight_smile: …definitely no “techno” but all the sweeter House ! Deluxe - So Good (Techno Remix) - YouTube

1 Like

The dub is the one for me, but nice to see Rob Smith do something of this ilk.

2 Likes
5 Likes

What a tune!! Would always drop hard

1 Like

so many tough tunes were put out as the sound got a bit ‘dirtier’ :slight_smile: def check the R U Conscious album (on discogs for a few quid) which has some real underground gems on
and D’Influence ‘I’m the one’ white label they originally put out which has an absolute nuts dub.

4 Likes

bit of chatter about this but thought it worth flagging up here. Not strictly and exclusively streetsoul but it’s all 1990-91 material, mostly hovering at 98bpm. It’s all trippy, dubby and blissed-out stuff, coming from a psychedelic rather than urban angle, but it’s never far from the “Back To Life” drums and “Water From a Vine Leaf” dreaminess. It captures so much that’s great about this overlooked scene and I imagine I’ll hear a lot of these at the sunrise end of some festivals this summer.

11 Likes

don’t get me wrong though, I still want a proper streetsoul compilation with “Joy & Heartbreak”, “I Surrender” and “Never Been In Love Like This Before”, if anyone at the cool re-issues labels is here seeking inspiration…

2 Likes

anything that includes sheer taft’s “cascades” can’t suck.

btw - i’ve been on the hunt for the “absolutely sheer” album for years, please message me if anyone’s holding and wants to get rid of one!

Some amazing tracks on that comp, and a few I dont know and still need to check out.
Afrika (Love And Laughter Remix), I Don’t Even Know If I Should Call You Baby, and Snappiness all firm favourites of mine.

1 Like

Right up my street that. Cheers.

I find a lot of that sound hard to describe, but anything with shuffly 90bpm beats, and blissed out vibe is usually buy on sight for me. I missed out on a lot of that early 90s stuff first time round so i’m enjoying discovering it

2 Likes

New Ruf Dug street soul action.

Instrumental/dubs prob more up my street (excuse the pun) than this vocal version tbh.

4 Likes

have we had this?

4 Likes

:grinning: Banger heheh

1 Like

wow, Im loving that Ruf Dug x Private joy track!
Defo going to pick that up!

3 Likes

Sorry if this is stealth promo but here is a remix I have out soon that I tried to inject a bit of street soul energy into

5 Likes

Always loved this (Loose Ends / 52nd St vibes):

5 Likes

7 Likes