The Picture House – A Cinema Thread

Anything over 90 mins has to justify it.

Watched Once Upon a Time In America the other day - Nearly four hours, I think, which flew by.

2 Likes

For those who are interested and missed it at the BFI, another screening of Weekender in Dalston on September 13th.

2 Likes

Might be of interest for London folk

2 Likes

And this too……

1 Like

Barbie pretty good if a bit of a jumbled mess … still preferred it to Oppenheimer :sweat_smile:

4 Likes

It’s on at the IMAX here in Wellington !

2 Likes

Looking forward to this, he was great in Hunt for the wilderpeople… Love this scene.

5 Likes

Many years ago, I borrowed the DVD of Once Upon A Time In America from my brother. Thought the ending was a bit abrupt, and I didn’t really understand it. Only realised later that he had lost the second disc…

6 Likes

Not cinema, but agreed to go see the Wicked musical last night which had me like this:

1 Like

Went to see Bottoms last night. It’s a lesbian high school comedy and one that the young ones (12/13 upwards I imagine) will find quite funny. It stars Ayo Edebiri of The Bear and more…

IMG_4316

3 Likes

Love love love Emma Seligman and Rachel Sennott - Shiva Baby was fantastic. On our list. :v:

my oldest texted me to see if I want to go and see the remastered Stop Making Sense at the cinema next week
one of those rare ‘my work here is done’ moments
It’s also the same cinema where I first saw it in about 1987

19 Likes

That deserves a 10 :pray:

Went to see this last night with a q&a with the director Alan Rudolph, producer (and far more) Carolyn Pfieffer and musician Mark Isham. He wrote the cafe classic ‘The Hawk’with Marianne Faithful which features in the final scene. It was not the greatest film but good to see it and hear the music loud.

https://youtu.be/p7bOqhmaQao?si=OtYsDBsF4tum3Rj8

4 Likes

This is such an underrated Seattle movie - lots of scenes shot in our neighborhood (the cafe is now a burrito joint next to a pot shop) and the art deco Asian Art Museum features prominently. Rainy and noir AF. And it’s got Divine and Kris Kristofferson with Marianne Faithful on the theme. What more could you want? :wink:

3 Likes

went to see Past Lives yesterday. nice little film, strong performances all round, lovely soundtrack.

3 Likes

50th Anniversary screening of The Exorcist booked for Saturday night. Can’t wait to see it on the big screen

6 Likes

The Exorcist was ace at the cinema Saturday night. Remastered, the colours were sharp and the sound had been remixed and boosted in all the right places.

Dumb Money on Sunday afternoon about the Reddit v Wall St short squeeze on GameStop stocks. Good fun and a mad story.

Next up this week is The Creator. Stay tuned….

1 Like

Nice, we’re going to see The Exorcist tomorrow night. Must be 15-20 years since I last saw it in the cinema.

The Creator is also on the list.

Really looking forward to The Creator, and cannot wait for Poor Things. Already lots of speculation that Emma Stone will get all the awards.

3 Likes