The Olympics - Actually Pretty Great

Getting pretty into these here Olympics now. Currently have Deepside on and am watching beach volleyball. Pretty great evening… It’s properly good to watch whatever they’ve got on first thing in the morning… Always some sport to get into that I never knew I liked. Saying that track cycling was pretty ace this morning.

4 Likes

Skateboarding was very fun and a fantastic display of olympic spirit, especially in the female rounds. Very emotional too. Men’s Volleyball has been interesting although Brazil lost yesterday to the ROC which kinda sucked. I love watching the random sports, a lot more than the regular ones. It’s 12h ahead from us here, perfect fodder for my late-night tendencies. Thankfully I don’t have to be up early…most days.

3 Likes

Yep, really enjoying checking in with it first thing in a morning over a coffee. The new street sports like BMX and skating has been mega

2 Likes

Didn’t see much but the English girl on bmx was something else… :+1:

4 Likes

The speed climbing today was super good. And the synchronised swimming is a bit whatever but their walks to the pool are well vogue.

2 Likes

Aussie dude who won the skating today was insane. And that 14 yr old Chinese diver. I’ve still got no idea about the rules for half of the track cycling though. Overall hadn’t really given the Olympics much thought but it’s been entertaining when I’ve caught it. Good way to pass the time between football tournaments!

2 Likes

Just found out a sport named keirin exists

1 Like

My son is big on climbing (I know very little) and we watched the men’s final today. Brilliant and very tense.
Loved seeing the skateboarding. Watched it all and the women’s was superb. So young and so good.
Women’s climbing final tomorrow.

Already looking forward to Paris

Music link - Kit Grill - ‘Velodrome’ x some early 80’s retro track footage :slight_smile:

Any more nominations for an Olympic playlist?

2 Likes

There’s always this…

1 Like

Oh and this…

https://youtu.be/wU5bBIRz-j0

I’ve been trying to watch as much as I can. Big ups Sky Brown the 13 year old Brit skater who won bronze on female park yesterday! Also I’m absolutely fascinated by the gymnastics I watched every event both male and female. Team bronze in women’s was a great moment and Max Whitlock defending his gold on pommel horse was incredible :1st_place_medal:

But my all time favourite moment so far was when the 2 high jumpers both agreed to share the gold medal. Not gonna lie I teared up a little ha

1 Like

I’m loving it. I am watching from Australia, but mainly using the BBC coverage as I find the OZ coverage was too perochial to stand. We are back in week 5 of level 4 lockdown here, so the games has been an absolute godsend and the timezone is only hour different. I never knew that thai kwon do could be so riveting. It seems so refreshing to see nations coming together from all over the world in something so positive.

2 Likes

It’s brilliant. Like a night out at the greyhounds in Japan.

3 Likes

Tim H from DJ History’s son just got a silver in the madison in the cycling. Boom.

7 Likes

Really entertaining to watch but like most of the velodrome events, I didn’t have a clue what was going on haha

4 Likes

Every time it comes around I seem to think I ain’t feeling it this year (none more so than before this started) then within a day or so I’m bang into it. Loved the skateboarding, diving enjoyed the 4x100 relays also enjoyed the road events so you get to see some of Tokyo and the surrounding area. Football is always my game but the vast majority of the Olympic participants they interview seem really grounded plus most of them haven’t had their personalities neutralised by intensive media training.

1 Like

The 23 year old GB cyclist who swore on live tv this morning made my day. His teammates reaction made it even better. Priceless.

It’s criminal that it’s not as accessible as normal but am loving binging on what you can see in the morning.

Its amazing to see skating finally recognised as the incredible and inspirational sport it is and have loved seeing the emerging young blood. The BMX and cycling events have also been really gripping.

Not a fan of the knitting though. Turn it in winkle.

2 Likes

That’s Tim’s son heheh. I think those two live together.

1 Like